Is Webmail pane content not paginated?

Discuss the Scalix web client

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

tonysu

Is Webmail pane content not paginated?

Postby tonysu » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:57 am

Using Webmail,

Whenever I open a very large folder in the mailbox, it can take literally forever (10 minutes or more if thousands of iterms).

Also, it looks like once all items are fully loaded, then you can literally step down each "page" of displayed items very quickly so it's likely all items are already loaded into the browser.

Although it might be useful if someone wanted to view each and every item (very unlikely) and no changes are made to each object (again, very unlikely), IMO this design can be vastly improved by

1. Making paginating calls to to the database. In other words, instead of fetching every item in the database, fetch only enough items to fill the viewable pane (eg top 50 if that many items are viewable. if the pane is re-sized to view 57 items, then fetch only 57 items). A "next" link or button should enable fetching the next "n" viewable items, and so on and so on.

2. Naturally, this type of call should be made with an AJAX enabled GUI (It looks like AJAX is utilized already for most of the GUI).

Also, I don't know if PostGRES supports database views, if so I wonder if using that as an intermediate layer might vastly improve performance instead of having to hit the disk when different mailbox folders' contents are modified (eg deleting items which moves items from Inbox to Deleted Items).

Again, the desired result is to fetch only the items which are viewable at a time to lessen the impact on the database engine which currently is slammed unnecessarily when vastly more than what is viewable is retrieved.

Tony

mmas

Re: Is Webmail pane content not paginated?

Postby mmas » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:27 am

I'd like to see this feature too. I don't know if this can make swa a little faster or much faster.
Anyway I don't think lot of people need to see every 3433 (like me) or more emails they have in Inbox.
Sometimes this seems to slow down swa.

PS.: I know .. I can move a lot of my inbox emails in other folders....

jangi

Postby jangi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:49 am

If it is taking that long to load a folder there is something else wrong. On SWA 11.4.4 my sent items folder which has over 5,000 messages loads in twenty seconds (first try). I believe having the UI function more like a "fat" client, without pages, is an intended feature of SWA and probably won't be changed.

tonysu

Postby tonysu » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:29 pm

Since I upgraded to 11.4, the problem has not been as acute, yes the entire list of headers appears to load much faster and now responsiveness is "Usable."

Only a slight possible bugginess, I've noticed if a very long list is loaded that maybe the latest dozen or so messages may not be completely loaded so it might be dangerous to batch delete messages (with something like a CTL-SHFT-CLK).

Tony

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:37 am

our folder load strategy will change in Scalix 11.5, including the user experience. Stay tuned.

Florian
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

mmas

Postby mmas » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:25 am

Thanks florian, it's what I wanted to hear.

Return to “Scalix Web Access”