(BES) Outlook won't connect to Scalix

Discuss Scalix Connect for Blackberry Enterprise Server and use of BlackBerry devices with Scalix.
AdrianChapman

(BES) Outlook won't connect to Scalix

Postby AdrianChapman » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:04 am

So after some fun'n'games (see thread 17707 "Refusal of BES connector to install") getting the test server up and working, it all got there in the end. Great.

The production W2k8R2 server (built from the same Win & Office media as the test server) installed smoothly - but it won't talk to the Scalix server! The Outlook (2003) profiles are setting up without a problem - talking to the server correctly - but I'm having no joy from there in.

If I try and start Outlook, I get "Unable to open your default eMail folders. The information store could not be opened."
If I use the BES IEMSTest util, I get "OpenMsgStore() for this profile failed (80040111)"

The BESAdmin user is set up in Scalix - and opens correctly in SWA.
The same happens if I try to set Outlook up on the BES server using a different Scalix user.
If I set BESAdmin up in Outlook on another machine (O2k7 on XP), it opens quite happily.

One thought - could it be a licence issue? I've swapped the permanent licence key file for the new one with "Option: Name=BES:Expiry=<date>" - and the licence key in that file is being reflected in SAC - but there's no mention of BES when you view the licence through the admin console.

Another slightly strange wrinkle - W2k8's update is not offering any updates for Outlook 2k3.
Adrian Chapman
Trivas Ltd
Business on the Move
Mobility - Messaging - Infrastructure - Security - Remote Access

Fingers crossed for Scalix having a strong future!

BaldBoy

Re: (BES) Outlook won't connect to Scalix

Postby BaldBoy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:27 am

Could u please post the whole output from IEMTEST ?

I dont really think it's a license related issue as IEMTEST is not indeed involved in licensing. However IEMTEST reveals an issue in the proper communication link BES<-->Scalix Connect<-->Scalix Server.

You test server was attached to the same Scalix server ? Is production Scalix server 11.4.6 ?

AdrianChapman

Postby AdrianChapman » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:15 am

BaldBoy wrote:Could u please post the whole output from IEMTEST ?

That was it...

You test server was attached to the same Scalix server ? Is production Scalix server 11.4.6 ?

No, it was attached to a test server with an eval licence. This one's a production server with a 50-premium SB licence. Yep, 11.4.6 - it's the same customer as we're waiting for 11.5 with... <grin>

TBH, I've decided the path of least resistance is just to rebuild the BES server from scratch. Not quite ready to connect yet, but won't be long.
Adrian Chapman
Trivas Ltd
Business on the Move

BaldBoy

Postby BaldBoy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:50 am

Maybe what I am going to ask you to check is obvious but ... well, you never know:
  • Scalix's production server has the proper license applied ? I mean ... after your purchase of Scalix Connector for BES, have you received your updated scalix license and applied it in SAC ?
  • Besadmin account on Scalix's side has been created with mboxadmin privileges ?
  • Scalix's server has a firewall enabled ? Is the IP from BES' server allowed to comunicate on every port ?

AdrianChapman

Postby AdrianChapman » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:04 am

BaldBoy wrote:Maybe what I am going to ask you to check is obvious but ... well, you never know:

<grin> I've done that myself many times...

[*]Scalix's production server has the proper license applied ? I mean ... after your purchase of Scalix Connector for BES, have you received your updated scalix license and applied it in SAC ?

Yes. The SAC doesn't _say_ "BES" when showing the licence key, but the licence ID is the same as the BES one, not the non-BES one.

[*]Besadmin account on Scalix's side has been created with mboxadmin privileges ?

Yes, cut'n'paste of the command line from the release notes, just the "obvious" changed.

[*]Scalix's server has a firewall enabled ? Is the IP from BES' server allowed to comunicate on every port ?

No firewall on the Scalix server. No comms problems. Creating the Outlook profile works fine (and refuses, as expected, if there's a finger-fumble on the password) - it just won't open.
Adrian Chapman
Trivas Ltd
Business on the Move

BaldBoy

Postby BaldBoy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:07 pm

Another couple of things. Hands on Scalix's SAC:
  • Advanced properties of the user "besadmin" shows the Authentication ID. Which is it ?
  • Is it a Premium User ?
  • Your Scalix's license key is for 50 premium users. How many available ?

Post your feedback.

BaldBoy

Postby BaldBoy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:08 pm

Hi Adrian,
i just hit this document http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/software/server_exchange_ver_march_05_10.pdf
It seems Win2k8R2 is not supported by BES yet.

Hope it helps.

AdrianChapman

Postby AdrianChapman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:29 pm

BaldBoy wrote:It seems Win2k8R2 is not supported by BES yet.

5.01 - "being assessed for compatibility", as of March 2010.
Looks like 5.02 has just been released, and is supported.
http://www.blackberrycool.com/2010/08/12/blackberry-enterprise-server-express-updated-to-5-0-2/

For a moment, I thought I might be about to get a bit sweary - R2 is the only sodding Windows server OS you can currently buy a shrink-wrap copy of...

And, to answer your questions of t'other day...
BaldBoy wrote:Another couple of things. Hands on Scalix's SAC:
  • Advanced properties of the user "besadmin" shows the Authentication ID. Which is it ?
  • Is it a Premium User ?
  • Your Scalix's license key is for 50 premium users. How many available ?

The AuthID is "besadmin". Yes, it's premium, and yes, there's plenty of licences. And, yes, it works fine in a "normal" Outlook/Scalix connector...
Adrian Chapman
Trivas Ltd
Business on the Move

BaldBoy

Postby BaldBoy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:41 pm

Wow ... that's a pretty new release (4 days ago).
Have you tried the setup yet ?

Looking forward to hear your feedback.

AdrianChapman

Postby AdrianChapman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:04 am

BaldBoy wrote:Wow ... that's a pretty new release (4 days ago).
Have you tried the setup yet ?

<whimper>

After several rounds of my old friend "The wizard was interrupted before Scalix Connect for Blackberry Enterprise Server could be completely installed", I _think_ I've got that sussed - all you need to do is to restart Windows after the UAC has been turned completely off...

The errors I was getting from that one, from the Windows Application Event Log :
- MsiInstaller - Beginning a Windows Installater transaction: <path to MSI> Client Process ID: 2436
- RestartManager - Starting session 0 - <date><time>.437000000Z.
- MsiInstaller - Ending a Windows Installater transaction: <path to MSI> Client Process ID: 2436
- RestartManager - Ending session 0 - <date><time>.437000000Z.
- MsiInstaller - Product: Scalix Connect for Blackberry Enterprise Server -- Installationoperation failed. (event 11708)
- MsiInstaller - Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Scalix Connect for Blackberry Enterprise Server. Product Version: 1.0.1.9246. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Scalix Corporation. Installation success or error status: 1603.

So - it's installed. And, just in case, Windows has been restarted again. Just because...

The Outlook profiles have been set up.
And... <pause, drum-roll>

THEY STILL DON'T WORK. This is a clean-build, fresh W2k8 install. Windows. AD/DNS. CDO. Outlook 2k3. Updates. Scalix Connect. Outlook profiles. BES.

<cries gently, reaches for stiff drink>
Adrian Chapman
Trivas Ltd
Business on the Move

AdrianChapman

Postby AdrianChapman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:24 am

AdrianChapman wrote:<cries gently, reaches for stiff drink>

We may have identified the problem...

I could've sworn they were on 11.4.6. They're on 11.4.5. That'll do it...

Guess what I'm doing this evening when all the users have gone home?
<mutters>
Adrian Chapman
Trivas Ltd
Business on the Move

BaldBoy

Postby BaldBoy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:44 am

Ouch ... that hurts.

AdrianChapman

Postby AdrianChapman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:46 am

BaldBoy wrote:Ouch ... that hurts.

Mmm. There's a friendly clue for the Scalix developers when it comes to error messages here somewhere...
Adrian Chapman
Trivas Ltd
Business on the Move

Return to “Scalix Connect for Blackberry Enterprise Server”