Strange Problem With BES 5 and Outlook 2003

Discuss Scalix Connect for Blackberry Enterprise Server and use of BlackBerry devices with Scalix.
Workman

Strange Problem With BES 5 and Outlook 2003

Postby Workman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:02 pm

We're running BES Express 5.0.1 under Windows Server 2008 R2. Office 2007 is installed and was used to create the BlackBerryServer and BlackBerryManager profiles. The Scalix Connector for BES is 1.0.1.

The problem involves using Outlook 2003 w/Word 2003 as the HTML editor to forward or reply to some mail sent from Blackberries. The mail looks OK in the preview pane but when Word comes up for editing the message body is gone and the header FROM: information has been applied to the next message in the thread. (I've only seen this when the mail has a few messages in the thread).

Neither the Outlook 2003 editor or Outlook 2007/Word 2007 have this problem.

I heard no complaints about this when we were running BES Express 4, so I'm guessing that it started with the upgrade to 5.0.1.

I also haven't seen this with mail sent from external Blackberries.

When I view the raw data from one of the problematic Blackberry e-mails there's a single HTML message. The mail generated by Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 is multipart/alternative with both plain text and HTML content.

Has anyone seen this? Is the Scalix Connector for BES responsible for the mail format or is there something that I can change on the server side?

Thanks.

Workman

Re: Strange Problem With BES 5 and Outlook 2003

Postby Workman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:53 am

I've been doing some testing and collected more information about what's going on. Here's how I can replicate the problem:

1) Send an e-mail to Blackberry user using Outlook 2003/Word 2003.
2) Receive a reply from the Blackberry

No problems at this point.

3) Reply to the step 2 reply
4) Receive another reply from the Blackberry

It's the step 4 reply that loses the message body and applies the wrong header if I attempt another reply.

Here's some of the raw data from the mail that I sent from Outlook in step 3:

--2_0_264_a5a9c76MHTML_=_01
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-mi=
crosoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:wo=
rd" xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
<P>

<head>

The <P> is where the Blackberry's reply (step 4) is inserted. No <P> is added when I run through the steps in Outlook 2007.

Return to “Scalix Connect for Blackberry Enterprise Server”