Refusal of BES Connector to install on Win2k8 r2?

Discuss Scalix Connect for Blackberry Enterprise Server and use of BlackBerry devices with Scalix.
AdrianChapman

Refusal of BES Connector to install on Win2k8 r2?

Postby AdrianChapman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:57 am

Whilst we were testing the setup, we knocked up a Win2k3 server, and the install went smoothly.

However, building the server for real for a customer, we could only acquire a 2k8 R2 server licence. AD's configured, MAPI-CDO's installed, Outlook (2003 since 2007 refuses to) is installed and working. But the Scalix connector doesn't play.

The installer launches, fires up the usual security dialogue box, seems to get a fair way through - the progress bar whips across to about 2/3, but with no detail of the actual progress above the then the installer fails. "The wizard was interrupted... Your system has not been modified". There's one other oddity - it's not finding any updates for Outlook.

Only message in the event log is...
EventID 1033, source MSIInstaller - "Installation success or error status: 1603"

Any thoughts?
Adrian Chapman
Trivas Ltd
Business on the Move
Mobility - Messaging - Infrastructure - Security - Remote Access

Fingers crossed for Scalix having a strong future!

BaldBoy

Re: Refusal of BES Connector to install on Win2k8 r2?

Postby BaldBoy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:17 am

That's sounds wierd ... are you on a 32 or 64 bit box ?

AdrianChapman

Postby AdrianChapman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:24 am

BaldBoy wrote:That's sounds wierd ... are you on a 32 or 64 bit box ?

2k8 R2 is 64-bit only. The 2k3 test box was 32-bit.

It's a VM under VMWare Server 2.02. VMWare tools are installed.
Adrian Chapman
Trivas Ltd
Business on the Move

BaldBoy

Postby BaldBoy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:33 am

Maybe you have already checked this but ... AFAIK ... W2k8 implements UAC like Windows Vista and W7.
Have you tried disabling this feature ? (the "System not modified" message seems pretty well related to the problem).

As Scalix Connect for BES is much part of Scalix Connect for Outlook and there has been a few posts for people not being able to install it properly with UAC on (even if they have invoked the setup with "Run as Administrator privileges) ... I would give it a try.

AdrianChapman

Postby AdrianChapman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:35 am

BaldBoy wrote:Maybe you have already checked this but ... AFAIK ... W2k8 implements UAC like Windows Vista and W7.
Have you tried disabling this feature ? (the "System not modified" message seems pretty well related to the problem).

It does, and I didn't - it was popping up the dialogue box, and getting an OK before it started to try to install. I'm just in the throes of rebuilding the 2k8 box from scratch at the mo, in case something internal was sulking.

Call me a luddite, but can I please stay on 2k3 and XP forever, if I _have_ to use Windows?
Adrian Chapman
Trivas Ltd
Business on the Move

BaldBoy

Postby BaldBoy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:38 am

:D Thank you MS for making common men's life pretty miserable !

AdrianChapman

Postby AdrianChapman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:13 am

AdrianChapman wrote:
BaldBoy wrote:Maybe you have already checked this but ... AFAIK ... W2k8 implements UAC like Windows Vista and W7.

It does, and I didn't - it was popping up the dialogue box, and getting an OK before it started to try to install. I'm just in the throes of rebuilding the 2k8 box from scratch at the mo, in case something internal was sulking.

Well, it wasn't anything funny in the original Win install, and it wasn't UAC, since it still doesn't want to install...

Update: Yes, it flamin' well does. I don't know what changed, but I thought "Let's have one more try", and... success...

Is it pub o'clock yet?
Adrian Chapman
Trivas Ltd
Business on the Move

BaldBoy

Postby BaldBoy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:25 am

Update: Yes, it flamin' well does. I don't know what changed, but I thought "Let's have one more try", and... success...

Do you mean that with UAC off you were able to install BES connector properly ?

AdrianChapman

Postby AdrianChapman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:39 am

BaldBoy wrote:

Do you mean that with UAC off you were able to install BES connector properly ?

I turned UAC off. I rebooted. The connector still refused to install.
Ten minutes later, I thought "I'll have another try" - may have rebooted again in the interim, I don't recall, with no other changes - and it worked.

Of course, now it's claiming that the CDO installed is 1.0 and insufficient, despite the fact that it's most definitely 1.2.1, downloaded from the link in Scalix's release notes...
Adrian Chapman
Trivas Ltd
Business on the Move

BaldBoy

Postby BaldBoy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:42 am

AdrianChapman wrote:Of course, now it's claiming that the CDO installed is 1.0 and insufficient, despite the fact that it's most definitely 1.2.1, downloaded from the link in Scalix's release notes...

That's normal ... the CDO version read by the BES setup process is the one of the Scalix's modified CDO.dll (look at my notes about how CDO.dll gets renamed to mscdo.dll). Simply ignore the warning and proceed.

Return to “Scalix Connect for Blackberry Enterprise Server”