Scalix Activesync push not working?

Forum to discuss the Scalix ActiveSync product

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

brian.schnautz

Scalix Activesync push not working?

Postby brian.schnautz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:30 pm

I am running the following script I found in the forums to help keep scalix activesync syncing smoothly for the most part.

Code: Select all

# begin activesync nightly maintenance
# shutdown Remote Client Interface
/opt/scalix/bin/omoff -w -d0 rci 2>&1  # redirect stderr to stdout (because omoff always redirects output to stderr even in non error cases)
sleep 10

# shutdown Tomcat...
/etc/init.d/scalix-tomcat stop   # on Debian - might be OS dependend
sleep 10

# cleanup IMAP Cache...
# ! change XX in the path below to the first and last letter of the server name: e.g. "server": XX = sr
find /var/opt/scalix/XX/s/user/*/imap-cache/* -exec rm {} \;
sleep 10

# restart Tomcat...
/etc/init.d/scalix-tomcat start   # on Debian - might be OS dependend
sleep 10

# restart Remote Client Interface
/opt/scalix/bin/omon rci 2>&1  # stderr has to be redirected to stdout (because omon redirects output to stderr even in non error cases)
sleep 10

# prepares imap cache from scratch
sximapprep -a sxadmin -p ***********

I thought I was in the clear finally, but one of the bosses (using iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3.1) told me that he wasn't getting items syncing unless he manually went into calendar or mail and waited for it to refresh.. then after doing so.. the new items would appear that he had entered hours ago. Is this a 'push' related issue I'm guessing? I don't seem to notice it being a problem yet on iPhone 3GS's with iOS 4.3.1 but I don't know if the phone or iOS is even the issue here.

Since running the processes in the script seem to flush out any problems with syncing, I would like to run it more often.. say every hour or so or maybe more frequently. However, it gives you a connection error momentarily if you happen to be using your phone at that particular moment.. for obvious reasons.. Is there a way that I can omit part of the script and keep connectivity therefor getting rid of the error on the phones?

Thanks for any help.

brian.schnautz

Re: Scalix Activesync push not working?

Postby brian.schnautz » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:56 pm

I seem to have found out what to do to get the 'push' to work the best when using Scalix. My setup is:
Outlook 2003 w/ scalix outlook connector and smart cache enabled
iPhone 3GS w/ iOS 4.3.1

In Outlook, by setting Send/Receive to "Schedule an automatic send/receive every 1 minute", (see attached screenshot) things starting syncing finally through activesync on the iPhone. Perhaps when I was creating objects in outlook, since I have smart cache enabled, maybe it wasn't putting newly created objects back into the server store and by setting it to send/receive every minute it forced objects to sync from outlook back to the server. Then active sync could pick it up and push it out to the phone. This is purely speculation, but it makes sense to me.

on a side note somewhat related with all these scalix activesync problems...
i'm pretty sure I've found the exact sequence of things that need to be done upon discovering you are missing information on your phone such as contacts or calendar events (never had a problem with mail)

1) remove activesync account from iPhone

2) exporting contacts or calendar (whichever is the not showing) and then deleting from outlook
* calendar to .pst file
* contacts to windows .cvs file (which is easier to check for incorrect fields)

3) cleaning the imap cache

find /var/opt/scalix/XX/s/user/*/imap-cache/* -exec rm {} \;
(where XX you have to verify per your installation)

4) restarting tomcat

etc/init.d/scalix-tomcat restart
(may differ on your linux distro)

5) resetting the users' active sync option
*I do this in the scalix admin web console on the user's mobile tab (check and uncheck, then save) "https://<your server>/sac

6) reformatting invalid contact entries in the cvs file and then importing back into outlook
*From my experience I look for phone numbers with the +1 (xxx) xxx-xxxx. maybe the +1 is hanging it or some other prefixes
*I've also renamed individuals with two or more words in the first name such as 'Dave and Betty' and just made Betty the middle name

7) finally add the account back to iPhone and it syncs again.

The nightly script (above in the first post) does help, but it doesn't entirely deal with some of the other issues

Note to scalix development team:
COME ON SCALIX!!! PLEASE GET THESE BUGS FIXED AND MAKE ACTIVESYNC SOLID!!
I love scalix and I'm always bragging about it, but I'm not so sure anymore if I would recommend scalix to anyone regarding the activesync side of things. Scalix activesync is quite buggy and the number of official supported devices is very limited. I'm sure you all are well aware of these problems and I hope that you can resolve them rather timely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brian.schnautz

Postby brian.schnautz » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:01 pm

Well then again.. maybe send/receive every minute didn't work. Now calendar events aren't showing up. God this is embarrassing. My bosses are definitely not happy with scalix activesync :-(

I don't know guys.. i've fought this for several weeks trying different things. I'm ready to give up...

brian.schnautz

Postby brian.schnautz » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:50 pm

and there's hope!.... turning on fetch on the iPhone has seemed to make a difference. We'll see what happens after a day of 'fetching' instead of pushing.

Return to “Scalix ActiveSync”