Too much or too little contacts on Android!

Forum to discuss the Scalix ActiveSync product

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

joako

Too much or too little contacts on Android!

Postby joako » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:35 pm

I've been evaluating Scalix ActiveSync for a few months and I have noticed massive issues with contacts sync.

1 user with Verizon "HTC Droid Incredible by HTC" has a problem of too many contacts, they keep multiplying currently at 18,000 contacts, started at maybe 300 contacts and they just keep multiplying like rabbits.

Another user I have more direct contact with we have tried many phones, all of them get too little contacts:

* Sony Ericsson Experia X10: too little contacts
* Samsung Galaxy S (AT&T version IIRC): too little contacts
In both of these cases it seems the same contacts never sync to the phone.

Both of these users had Windows Mobile 6.5 without any issues. User #2 we also setup an iPhone 2G and that syncs fine. I use an iPhone 4 and also that works fine.

I don't understand how this is possible if scalix has allegedlley has "official license" for ActiveSync protocol.
<Signature deleted... Florian>

polleke

Re: Too much or too little contacts on Android!

Postby polleke » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:07 pm

the activesync license has absolutely nothing to do with it.

you state yourself that the iPhone and other devices do sync so activesync works
Kind regards,

Paul

joako

Postby joako » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:10 pm

It works to a limited extent. Microsoft Exchange server does not have issues with any device. On iPhone there are some bugs not seen in Windows Mobile, but they are not major. I could understand issues if say ActiveSync were reversed enineered, so the fact that Scalix claims that their ActiveSync support is officially licenced is indeed very relevant.

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby billb3 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:07 pm

polleke wrote:the activesync license has absolutely nothing to do with it.

you state yourself that the iPhone and other devices do sync so activesync works

I don't think that is a fair statement. While Scalix Activesync works most of the time on many devices, it definitely has it's issues when paired with Android devices...

SidebandSamurai

Postby SidebandSamurai » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi, Joako

Can you try this for me and report back:

Code: Select all

sxmboxexp -u "Problem User" -a /tmp/problemuser.mbox

Replace "Problem User" with the user having problems syncing their contacts.

Now, Create a test user account in scalix then import the problemuser.mbox into the test account as follows:

Code: Select all

sxmboximp -u "testuser" -a /tmp/problemuser.mbox

Now using the other phones that were not receiving enough contacts and according to your previous posts those phones are:

* Sony Ericsson Experia X10: too little contacts

* Samsung Galaxy S (AT&T version IIRC): too little contacts

Configure any one of those phones to sync against the TestUesr account, and report back your results of your sync (weather or not the contacts synced and how many) to this posting.

Sincerely,

Sideband Samurai

a.schild

Postby a.schild » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:55 pm

We too have customers with HTC Desire Android phones.
It just does not syn well at all with the scalix implementation of active sync.

Support told me that these devices are not on the certified list of active sync clients...

mxx

Postby mxx » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:37 am

From my experience with the HTC Android phones, it helps if you remove all contacts from the account (except one because it will produce an error if no contacts are present at all). Then repair your account and move the contacts back..

But what worked best for me is if you get your phone to populate the contacts on the server.. you can export/import those contacts on the phone.. so if you get sync problems, delete all contacts from the server and then re-import them using your device via ActveSync...

That way I got working contacts for months (when changing firmware or something else and I had to setup the account again on the phone, I had to repeat those procedures). I didn't have the same luck with plain android.. Plain Android (on a rooted HTC without HTC's apps) behaved very bad and produced duplicates of contacts no matter how hard I tried (different android versions different contacts, different accounts, new accounts et.c.)..

Return to “Scalix ActiveSync”