strange new problem

Forum to discuss the Scalix ActiveSync product

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

kabalah

strange new problem

Postby kabalah » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:38 pm

ever since i recreated my outlook 2003 profile, any items added from my iPhone calendar would show up in my calendar, but if i try to open in outlook i get an error stating that outlook can't open item, permission denied....Has anyone else had this happen? or any idea's of what to do about it?
jim

MDAFederal

Re: strange new problem

Postby MDAFederal » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:06 pm

Not sure if this is the same problem as you, but we are also having issues creating/accepting calendar entries created via ActiveSync ever since the upgrade to AS 1.0.2. The calendar entries show up ok in Outlook, but when the reminder comes up, it causes our desktop virus scanner (McAfee VS8.0) to throw up a Exploit-CTCalendar Trojan message and removes the cached calendar entry, thus no allowing you to dismiss the reminder as it has been quarantined. It also throws an error when you try to delete, but it will allow you to delete the entry from the system. I have opened a trouble ticket on this and hope to hear back soon concerning a solution to this issue.

kabalah

Postby kabalah » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:58 pm

I don't mean any disrespect but GREAT! at least if there are two of us we may see a difference in the response from tech support :) i wonder if the problem goes away if i reinstall as 1.0.1? Please keep me informed if you get a solution, i'm just working around it for now, but it is annoying. and it did work in 1.0.1.
jim

kabalah

Postby kabalah » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:28 pm

well falling back to 1.0.1 fixed my problem, so it's definitely a 1.0.2 problem, i can now add events on my iPhone and edit them on outlook...
jim

MDAFederal

Postby MDAFederal » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:43 am

Yeah, just don't accept meetings unless you wish to become the organizer or try to use Webmail and your IPhone simultaneously as bad things will happen there that WERE fixed in 1.0.2. I guess you take the lesser of two evils, whichever that may be.

No word back from support yet, but I should hear back from them today, in theory.

MDAFederal

Postby MDAFederal » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:20 am

Nothing to report from support on this yet. What AntiVirus software are you using? Is it McAfee?

kabalah

Postby kabalah » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:08 pm

yes, mcafee.
j

MDAFederal

Postby MDAFederal » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:16 am

Update:
Support is still working the issue and are about to enter a bug on it. McAfee is picking up on something with regards to the ActiveSync 1.0.2 Calendar entries, which appears like a hole or vulnerability that is being opened (the Trojan Horse). It by itself is not a virus, just an enabler. We'll see where this leads.

kabalah

Postby kabalah » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:06 pm

kool, at least there is some headway. if it gets entered as a bug, it won't get lost :)
j

propagandhi

Postby propagandhi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:01 am

Seeing the same issue here. Please see the attached screenshot:

VS Image.jpg

We have been in touch with McAffee support who initially stated they may be able to provide us with an extra .DAT file (I assume definitions/exclusions in that file), however they have just got back to us and effectively told us they are washing their hands of it, and that they feel it is something Scalix should fix.

I tend to agree with them on this. I will also be filing this in Bugzilla.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kabalah

Postby kabalah » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:18 am

yes, exactly. this is why i went back to 1.0.1. maybe next version will be better.
jim

propagandhi

Postby propagandhi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:23 am

Also, I'd like to quickly add that if you exclude the Outlook Temp folder, the problem disappears, however for obvious reasons this is not at all desirable.

I have filed the following bug report:

https://bugzilla.scalix.com/show_bug.cgi?id=21199

kabalah

Postby kabalah » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:18 pm

Any word from support on this as it looks as thought the bug is closed?
jim

MDAFederal

Postby MDAFederal » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:58 pm

As best I can tell they are awaiting word (definitively) that the EXPLOIT message is legit. They "supposedly" do not wish to waste time on a problem that they do not believe is theirs. As I may be able to commend this philosophy, all it is going to do is alienate the customers that they are try to woo away from Microsoft. I have been informed that McAfee is not used as part of their QA process, and since it is probably 20% or so market share, that would be a significant number of users that they are writing off right away. I am awaiting word from AVERT Labs on the test files that were sent to them so that we can definitively say it is or is not a Scalix issue. IMHO, changes made between AS 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 were not completely kosher with all players involved. No changes were made to McAfee. McAfee has deemed something that has been changed with the calendar in 1.0.2 as EXPLOITABLE. I personally would rather be safe than sorry. This is not a battle that Scalix should be fighting, in my opinion, and should look to find a fix to the code. I would venture to guess that Exchange and ActiveSync w/Exchange does not have this issue, because it has already been told about this as being EXPLOITABLE and has made this necessary fix years ago. If the competing product does not experience the same symptoms, then you are already losing the battle.

MDAFederal

Postby MDAFederal » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:35 am

Still awaiting word from AVERT Labs/McAfee on the status of this EXPLOIT. Hope to get in touch with someone today.

If others are reading through this Forum and have not posted their "Me Too" for this issue, please simply post a quick "Me Too" response so that we may be able to get some strength in numbers for this issue, because as it stands right now, no one wins.

Return to “Scalix ActiveSync”