Nokia E71 does not sync anymore ...

Forum to discuss the Scalix ActiveSync product

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

scienide

Nokia E71 does not sync anymore ...

Postby scienide » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:50 am

Been having a couple of troubles with activesync on the nokia e71.

A customer has two of those phones, but at a sudden one of them stopped syncing.
The message i get in the log files is :

2009-10-22 13:33:17,005 INFO [CheckAuthInterceptor.preHandle:82] AUTHENTICATION - HttpSession: 0BC2A0E40DDF4750249C42130BA92E7D belongs to a different user.

How to resolve this without having to drive to the customer to reset settings on his phone again?

The other nokia does sync the mail, but it sometimes makes mistakes with syncing contact. deleting missing information from the contact on the phone. On the few occassions we have seen this the phone number was still in the contact on outlook, but the activesync deleted the phone number from the already existing contact. This happens at a regular basis, but seems random. Any solution for this?

Best regards,
Marco

scienide

Re: Nokia E71 does not sync anymore ...

Postby scienide » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:00 am

Ok...

I do a logrotate at 4 am in the morning. After that tomcat is restarted.

For some reason the Nokia looses sync after this. If the phone is rebooted after this the sync continues without problems...

Any idea about this how i can resolve this ?

With kind regards,
Marco

joako

Postby joako » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:49 am

In regards to the issue with the contacts I have experienced the same thing using the Nokia E71 with Exchange 2003 only the phone showed the contact correctly but Outlook did not. This is catastrophic when "it's not a big deal to erase the phone, the important data is on the server"

That reminds me I need to call my contact at Nokia... they are swapping the E71 for another model, it has serious issues.
<Signature deleted... Florian>

tomster

Postby tomster » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:59 am

I am not sure whether my experiences relate to the ones posted here, but might be...
My suspicion so far: it's not the Scalix server causing this problem.

Since I don't use AS yet I can only speak for troubles using a standard IMAP4 fetch from the Scalix server via UMTS. I create a email account on the E71 and everything works flawlessly.
Sometimes it seems though like the phone stepping into oblivion when a connected UMTS connection gets lost. Let me explain with my scenario:

During daytime the phone stays connected via UMTS in my office without problems. The trouble starts as soon as I decide to leave the office. My car is parked on level 2 in a underground garage and therefore the phone loses connection- no UMTS nor GSM. Under normal circumstances the connection would be re-established after I leave the garage without problems. From time to time though the message application on the phone more or less freezes. This means I can use it like in offline mode. I can brwose through the emails (if already on the phone) delete and open and close the application. The options menu even shows "connected". But I can't retrieve email or disconnect from the UMTS connection. All that helps is to turn off the phone. In 90 % of the cases the phone boots up again and the message app would work again as expected.
In the other cases the phone starts up normally but the configured email account on the phone simply disappears. All emails are gone - only on the phone that is of course. Instead I have a standard email account readily set-up from my carrier by default which is probably hard-coded in the phone's firmware. I then would have to re-configure my very own email account once again and retrieve all messages from the top.

I do assume so far that the phone's message app has problems when the UMTS connection gets lost while actively retrieving/ checking new email. This conclusion because it woks normally in about 90% of the cases. And it is almost reproducable on demand!

My Scalix server makes an automated back-up every night at 02:00 and therefore stopping all Scalix services. Normally I use a time schedule on the phone to check automatically for emails only from 08:00 to 23:59 so these two things won't interfere. But if I decide to let the phone fetch emails 24h as soon as I get up in the morning the above described X will come up. With the same percented chance of having to re-configure the email account from the top. Ok, no big deal, only time consuming.

I'm not sure whether my problem really relates to the topic discussed here, but it seems to be 90% the same. And AS is (as think it would work) constantly "checking for new email", right?

Ahh, just for the records:
My E71 is running the 200.21.118 firmware. For my make (RM-346) there's yet not update to 300.X available.

joako

Postby joako » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:19 am

I also saw similar issues with the E71 loosing the exchange settings however I was unable to make observations as yours to what was causing it. Keep in mind all my test cases with the E71 are with a genuine Microsoft Exchange server. The other person testing E71 here has also seen similar issues to me including once instance where the password policy was not enforced later causing the device to be wiped.

As I said before I have seen major issues with the E71, my unit is being replaced with another model because when it is on the UMTS network it randomly reboots, even after being sent twice for repair. I can not recommend this device even for only phone calls. My Nokia 8290 was a better phone without a doubt.
<Signature deleted... Florian>

tomster

Postby tomster » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:37 am

Same here. Exchanging the phone did no better. Random reboots won't occur on my device though. Err let's say it only happened once but I didn't investigate on that one.
But then again it feels like Nokia went with Sync4j the last couple of years and spent little time on genuine Exchange-compatible protocols.

We'll see how the E72 and N900 behave in a couple of days- if the devices finally arrive and I get myself convinced to buy a starter-pack of Scalix's SBE10 series.

tomster

Postby tomster » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:56 am

Just updated my phone's FW to 400.xx. Now everything seems to work like a charm.
Ok, I do shutdown Scalix for backup every night. In the morning the E71 bothers me with wrong password messages.
But clicking the red disconnet button once will solve the problem ;-)

joako123

Postby joako123 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:36 am

Nokia never offered 400.xxxxx firmwares for users in North America.

Return to “Scalix ActiveSync”