Outlook Archive

Discuss the Scalix Outlook MAPI Interface

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

divig

Outlook Archive

Postby divig » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:50 pm

We moved over to Scalix a couple of months back and soon realised that archiving in Outlook no longer works i.e. it runs through fine, but nothing actually happens. From reading through the threads it seems this problem is known, but not considered a problem.

Unfortunately I have to say that I disagree - quite strongly. To be clear, is this being actively blocked by scalix, or has it just not been implemented? What stops the emails being moved from the mail store to the local backup PST. This can be done manually, why not in the archive feature?

Our users mailstores are growing rapidly and we really need to have a solution to this. User's wont completely delete even old email. They will begrudgingly accept archiving of old email if they have easy access to it. They don't care about it not being available in SWA and they are happy to back it up like other important locally stored files.

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:08 pm

Hi,

archiving in Outlook should work with current versions of Scalix Connect. What version are you using? We had some issues with crashes during archiving in 11.0.0, but those should be resolved.

The one thing that's not supported is having messages delivered directly into a PST file.

Florian.
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

divig

Postby divig » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:10 pm

We are still on scallix 10 (connect version is 10.0.0.366). We are upgrading to v11 this weekend, so I will try again then. Thanks for the quick response.

divig

Postby divig » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:44 pm

Just thought I'd post to say that we have upgraded to Scalix 11 (client v 11.0.1.22) and while somethings are now working, basically archiving is still broken. I will try and explain as best as I can.

If Outlook does an auto-archive or you choose to manually start a full archive it does not work. The status bar shows Outlook working through all the folders (including the Public Folders and any PST you might happen to have open - like your Archive Folders themselves!!!) and then at the end you get an error pop-up:

"Errors occured while archiving. Look for a detailed report in your Deleted Items folder."

When you OK this error and look in Deleted items there is nothing there. Also all the views are messed up (back to default I think) and when you try and do anything e.g. open a message you get the "Can't open this item...Command issued when the previous reply was still pending" error (I'm sure you know the one). So you have to restart Outlook to get it working again.

If you try and do an archive of an individual folder you get slightly better results. At first I thought it wasn't working, but if I choose a date that is quite recent I actually got it to archive items. I think I had to choose a date that was later than when I imported my PST into Scalix, but I'm not 100% sure. Still even then it doesn't work completely. For example I choose a date of 15/12/2006 and it archived everything up until 1/12/2006

Any ideas? This is really causing problems, because users are now getting large folders and then complaining about performance when they switch to them. Thanks

Tobias

Postby Tobias » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:51 am

Hello,

I have to pick up this topic. We´re using Scalix 11.1.0.45 with Outlook Connector. But archiving in Outlook doesn´t work. It runs fine, saying it is archiving, but none items are moved to the archive file. Even there are very old items (over a year) in some folders. Any hints what can be the reason for this?

eeisenbr

Postby eeisenbr » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:21 am

I'm having the same problem. Using Scalix Connect 11.2.0.52 or 11.1.0.46 against a Scalix Server 11.1.0.10849, I can't get auto archive to work. It does the same thing where it looks like it's working but then nothing is put in the archive. We really need to get this resolved. Some people here have many years of email that they occasionally need to get access to but definitely doesn't need to be stored on the Scalix server itself.

Mysterious

Postby Mysterious » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:42 am

Same problem here to. Scalix 11.2 and Connector for 11.2. Archiv is always empty...

cartel

Postby cartel » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:59 pm

Bump.

Happy new year!

We have this problem too. No archiving on 11.2.

Thanks

Tom

cchipont

UAL Protocol Error

Postby cchipont » Thu May 15, 2008 9:39 am

Same here.
Connector is 11.02 and server is 11.03 in opensuse 10.2

Unable to communicate with the Scalix server.
If the problem persists, exit and restart Outlook.
Details: UAL Protocol Error: Command issued when the previous reply was still pending.

Someone can help ?

rex007can

Postby rex007can » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:22 pm

Scalix 11.3 with client 11.3 with Outlook 2003.

Archiving works at first, for a little bit.
Then it stops working.
For everyone.
This is a huge problem.

deyjvu

Postby deyjvu » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:02 pm

I don't see mention of a bug in this thread, I had a quick look in Bugzilla and don't see a bug raised for this issue. If you want something fixed the first thing to do is raise a bug in bugzilla and then everyone who is experiencing the problem add your name to that bug.

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby billb3 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:20 pm

I too am having the same issue with 11.4.1, just entered a bug (#18285)

ricksaul

Re: Outlook Archive

Postby ricksaul » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:19 am

Has anyone had resolution for this. I also have this problem. Essentially it seems that outlook considers all imported emails to be of the same date and only starts archiving AFTER 3 months if you set the archive to be 3 months.

aacservices

Re: Outlook Archive

Postby aacservices » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:00 pm

I am suffering from the same issues with archiving in Outlook 2003, 2007 (and unsuprisingly 2010).

I am trying to archive all emails before April 2010 to a PST.
They will be backed up and then attached for the user as a read-only reference.

Outlook seems to archive some, says it's complete but there are still 100s of emails dated before april 2010 in the mailbox.
We are using Scalix Server 11.4.4.8866 with Connect at version 11.4.4.8866

My workaround at the moment is to
  • Use Outlook's Export function with an advanced filter
  • Create one pst with mail before the end of March
  • Create one pst with mail after the end of March
  • Delete all mail in the scalix mailbox
  • Import (drag & drop) the post-march emails back to the scalix mailbox

Return to “Scalix Connect for MS Outlook”