Install Scalix Connect on Win7

Discuss the Scalix Outlook MAPI Interface

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

jkloth

Install Scalix Connect on Win7

Postby jkloth » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:27 pm

I am trying (unsuccessfully) to install the Scalix connector for Outlook (2010) on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine. I launch the installer, I get a prompt asking to allow the program to make changes, I click yes, the computer "thinks" for a little while, then promptly "forgets" to actually run the installer. Scalix connect version is 11.4.6.9214 Anybody know if this version is compatible with Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit, as I've tried on both)? If so, and I should think it would be, any ideas on how to actually get it to install?

Thanks in advance.

da

Re: Install Scalix Connect on Win7

Postby da » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:08 pm

We have installed the Scalix connector on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit edition, and are using it successfully. If I remember correctly, for some PCs we needed to copy the installation file to a local drive as it did not install properly from a network drive.

The bigger problem is likely to be Outlook 2010. Scalix is NOT compatible with Outlook 2010 and we have been waiting for well over a year for Scalix to fix this. In our office, we are using Office 2010 except for Outlook 2010, together with Outlook 2007 which is (mostly) compatible with the Scalix Connector.

jkloth

Postby jkloth » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Now that you mention it, I think I do recall reading something about having to run the installer from the local drive. Thanks for the reminder!

I had also forgotten about the compatibility issues with 2010. This could prove to be a serious problem... We don't have a license for 2007 for this computer...

jkloth

Postby jkloth » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:29 pm

After running the installer from the local disk, it installed just fine. However, now I'm left with the Outlook 2010 compatibility issue...Anybody have any clue when a patch or updated connector might be released?

anybody

Postby anybody » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:02 am

jkloth wrote:Anybody have any clue when a patch or updated connector might be released?

Since you specifically requested MY opionion :D

Whether Scalix will release an Outlook compatible version is not something that can be answered on the basis of facts (there are none, except 1 1/2 years of silence and some (inofficial) broken promises). It is therefore more of a red pill / blue pill question:

You can take the blue pill and believe what ever you want to believe - including beliefs like the flying spaghetti monster deity or the even more ridiculous belief that Scalix will suddenly recover and bring out an Outlook 2010 compatible version.

You can however also take the red pill and accept that this is the end and the best you could hope for is a 11.4.7 bugfix update (and I would consider even that rather unlikely). If you don't like this: see blue pill.

jkloth

Postby jkloth » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:17 am

anybody wrote:
jkloth wrote:Anybody have any clue when a patch or updated connector might be released?

Since you specifically requested MY opionion :D

Whether Scalix will release an Outlook compatible version is not something that can be answered on the basis of facts (there are none, except 1 1/2 years of silence and some (inofficial) broken promises). It is therefore more of a red pill / blue pill question:

You can take the blue pill and believe what ever you want to believe - including beliefs like the flying spaghetti monster deity or the even more ridiculous belief that Scalix will suddenly recover and bring out an Outlook 2010 compatible version.

You can however also take the red pill and accept that this is the end and the best you could hope for is a 11.4.7 bugfix update (and I would consider even that rather unlikely). If you don't like this: see blue pill.

Unfortunately, that's the conclusion I was beginning to form...

Return to “Scalix Connect for MS Outlook”