"Operation failed" in Outlook 2007

Discuss the Scalix Outlook MAPI Interface

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

jkloth

"Operation failed" in Outlook 2007

Postby jkloth » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:27 am

Not sure if this is an Outlook issue or a Scalix issue.

Occasionally, when I try to access a folder I get a dialog stating "Operation failed" and in the viewing pane where the emails are usually listed it says "Cannot display information. There is either a problem connecting to the server or an error occurred. Try starting Microsoft Office Outlook again."
I originally thought it was a problem with sorting and grouping because at first it only appeared when I tried to access a folder that I have sorted and grouped by multiple fields, but it's been happening on folders with default sorting and grouping now too. If I navigate to another folder and then back again, it usually fixes itself, though sometimes I have to do this two or three times. I've also noticed this issue with other users so it isn't just limited to one profile.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Re: "Operation failed" in Outlook 2007

Postby les » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 am

I've seen this happen too. Fairly random, no rhyme or reason. different users at different sites. Because you can click off the folder and back on (usually) and the problem is gone, i've never put any more investigation into why or what is its problem.

Sorry i couldn't be more help, but just wanted to let you know you weren't the only one who has seen this.
Regards,

Les Stott

jkloth

Postby jkloth » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:41 am

At least I'm not alone :P

Yeah, I never put much effort towards figuring it out either, but I have a user (with a very large mailbox) who complains of it happening 4 or more times a day. So I decided to see if there was any fix for it. I suspect the mailbox size is a major factor in why this user sees it so much more often than I do.

Workman

Postby Workman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:43 pm

This seems to be caused by clicking between mailboxes that are sorted differently.

I've found that if you start Outlook with the /cleanviews switch the problem goes away until you start re-sorting mailboxes.

jkloth

Postby jkloth » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:12 pm

I don't think it's related to sorting. The user I mentioned above doesn't have any special sorting on any folders. Everything is default. The only difference is that some folders have the preview pane on and some have it off. However, I see the issue even when switching between folders that have exactly the same sorting and no preview panes.

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby les » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:27 pm

Workman wrote:This seems to be caused by clicking between mailboxes that are sorted differently.

I've found that if you start Outlook with the /cleanviews switch the problem goes away until you start re-sorting mailboxes.

I have a funny feeling its similar to a sorting or grouping problem (i.e. view by group etc). Brain cell's just firing about this when reading this post. There may be some other posts on the forum in the past.

1 other thing to try, close outlook. go into the users profile and delete (or rename) outcmd.dat. This will reset all the views for all folders (sometimes /cleanviews isn't enough, but try that first). I've seen issues in the past where outcmd.dat becomes very large and causes lots of viewing related problems.
Regards,

Les Stott

jkloth

Postby jkloth » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:36 pm

Sorry it took so long to get back, but it appears the /cleanviews switch did the trick. Seems odd that sorting and grouping would cause this...

Return to “Scalix Connect for MS Outlook”