Scalix Appears Incompatbile with Google Android OS Devices

Discuss the Scalix Outlook MAPI Interface

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

joako

Scalix Appears Incompatbile with Google Android OS Devices

Postby joako » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Has anyone attempted to use the Google Gmail Outlook Connector on the same profile as the Scalix Outlook Connector? There are serious bugs in Google Android OS and/or Scalix ActiveSync plugin (one seems to blame the other.) There is do desktop sync application for Google Android OS-based devices like there is ActiveSync with a USB cable for Windows Mobile, so the only way I see possible to use an Android-based phone in a Scalix environment is syncing the Scalix account to Gmail. On the Scalix and Google ends fixing these bugs appears to be very low priority.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4696&q=scalix&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars
https://bugzilla.scalix.com/show_bug.cgi?id=21469
<Signature deleted... Florian>

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Re: Scalix Appears Incompatbile with Google Android OS Devices

Postby billb3 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:05 pm

(nevermind, no need to hijack a thread. good luck to you.)
Last edited by billb3 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

joako

Postby joako » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:51 pm

Well if you would have actually read my post you would understand that Scalix ActiveSync does not work with Android devices. From the post itself: "here are serious bugs in Google Android OS and/or Scalix ActiveSync plugin (one seems to blame the other.)" and then the links are to the respective Google and Scalix bug reports re: ActiveSync problems. So far I've tested the following devices with the following results:

Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (T-Mobile phone): Initial sync showed only approx 100 out of 500 contacts.
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 (AT&T phone): Initial sync showed only approx 100 out of 500 contacts
HTC DROID Incredible (VZW phone): Initial sync missing unknown number of contacts. After adding contacts from the phone, these contacts continue to multiply, in about two weeks of use the mailbox goes from <1000 contacts to about 18,000 contacts. The contacts entered on the phone are rapidly multiplying. This is more of a long term test on this device. After deleting the sync relationship on the phone, doing some server-side maintenance and add the account again it *appears* to sync all contacts so long as the name is J or above, that is it is missing A-H entries and the sync settings screen shows an error (without any further details) for contacts.

The bug report with Google is filed Nov 11, 2009 against 11.4.5 and ActiveSync 1.0.1. No Android version is specified, but let's assume 2.0. I am using newer versions of all and the issue persists, read the Scalix bugreport where I posted full version details and server-side error logs.

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby billb3 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:26 pm

Last edited by billb3 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

joako

Postby joako » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:33 am

Why not just use Scalix Activesync?

I've made the text of my post large because it seems you might have issues reading the "tiny" text in my post. If you like give me your phone number and I will read you the post.

Scalix ActiveSync does not work with Android devices as previously stated. It will attempt to sync but fail synchronizing the contacts. On the Verizon device we tested for a few weeks contacts added on the phone are multiplying. Start with <1000 contacts, add a handful on the phone and you end up with 18,000 contacts on the server, the <1000 original contacts and the 10, 20 even if it was 300 contacts added on the phone repeating over and over and over again account for the remaining ~17,000 contacts. The contacts were added because the were in Outlook but due to these bugs I previously mentioned, the contacts didn't sync to the phone.

On the GSM devices we tested to just do a sync and all the contacts don't show up. I left a Samsung phone on for about two days and it still didn't sync all the contacts. In the sync status it showed an error (indicated by a "!".)

billb3 wrote:If you search these forums, you would know that most Outlook plugins are not likely to work with Scalix and that we are all in the same boat waiting for a Scalix Activesync update. Open a support ticket if you want to hear from Scalix.

I already heard from Scalix and their answer is despite that their protocol is broken, they are not going to fix it because they never claimed Android devices are supposed to work.

polleke

Postby polleke » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:17 am

it is rude to shout!
Kind regards,

Paul

joako

Postby joako » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:39 am

polleke wrote:it is rude to shout!

billb3 appears to have issues reading tiny text, so I reprinted it in a format he can hopefully read. Sorry if you interpreted my post as shouting, it was not intended as such, only as an aid for those with eyesight problems.

Return to “Scalix Connect for MS Outlook”