Profile recovery

Discuss the Scalix Outlook MAPI Interface

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

criptus

Profile recovery

Postby criptus » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Is it posssible, to recover erased outlook profile?

The reason is unexpected behavior of outlook. User created additional map (not sure whether pst or not) and moved some files there.

Due to smart cache problems I erased profile and created new, without smart cache enabled. This map with important 'backup' mails unfortunatelly vanished...

I found pst file and imported it to outlook, but there is only half of mails ???

I do not understand what happend. User claime, that he moved more files than recovered. I somehow believe him...

Is it possible to recover erased profile, eventhough smart cache was switched off?

criptus

Re: Profile recovery

Postby criptus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:36 am

No ideas?

Uluquai

Postby Uluquai » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:53 pm

Sorry I don't really have an answer.
When smart cache was turned off, no data should have been cached on disk.

But reagrding the incomplete .pst file.. did you try running a scanpst on that? If it reports errors and fixes them, sometimes it's needed to run it several times until it shows no errors..

I don't have any experience with psts and don't know if a somehow broken pst where many mails are missing would recover using scanpst, but you could try it...

Good luck!!

criptus

Postby criptus » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Uluquai wrote:Sorry I don't really have an answer.
When smart cache was turned off, no data should have been cached on disk.

But reagrding the incomplete .pst file.. did you try running a scanpst on that? If it reports errors and fixes them, sometimes it's needed to run it several times until it shows no errors..

I don't have any experience with psts and don't know if a somehow broken pst where many mails are missing would recover using scanpst, but you could try it...

Good luck!!

scanpst?

From outlook itself?

I'll try to find this...

Thanks.

zlatan24

Postby zlatan24 » Sun May 29, 2011 4:05 am

criptus wrote:Is it posssible, to recover erased outlook profile?

The reason is unexpected behavior of outlook. User created additional map (not sure whether pst or not) and moved some files there.

Due to smart cache problems I erased profile and created new, without smart cache enabled. This map with important 'backup' mails unfortunatelly vanished...

I found pst file and imported it to outlook, but there is only half of mails ???

I do not understand what happend. User claime, that he moved more files than recovered. I somehow believe him...

Is it possible to recover erased profile, eventhough smart cache was switched off?

For solving out like troubles I know some interesting softwares, which would settle this trouble for short time. Moreover one of them has many usable facilities and is able to help here too - http://www.pstviewers.com

SidebandSamurai

Postby SidebandSamurai » Tue May 31, 2011 7:42 pm

@criptus

Which version of the PST did your client use? A PST that is compatible with Outlook 2000 and Office '98? Or a PST that is compatible with Outlook 2003. This is important because if the user selected the older version of the .pst then the maximum size of that pst can only be 2Gig. If this version of the .pst exceeds 2Gig then the .pst becomes corrupt. You can recover it to a certain extent by using a program to cut the .pst file just below the 2Gig limit. When that happens any Email that remains is NOT recoverable.

If the person has used the newer version of the .pst, then that is what is in that .pst. Though there is a program called scanpst.exe, which is located in c:\program files\Microsoft Office\OfficeXX\scanpst.exe replace the xx with your version of Office for example for Office 2007 it would be Office12

Good Luck

Sideband Samurai

Return to “Scalix Connect for MS Outlook”