Shared Contacts not appearing in address book

Discuss the Scalix Outlook MAPI Interface

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

shouvik.bakshi1

Shared Contacts not appearing in address book

Postby shouvik.bakshi1 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:18 am

Hi,

I have a premium user (Comms SSP) whose contacts I have shared and given ownership permissions to 5 people.

Those 5 people have added the Comms SSP mailbox to their mail profiles in Outlook and they can see the contacts fine. But I want these contacts to appear in the address book so that I can add/view them when I click To in the compose window and send mails to them. But when I go to the properties for the Comms SSP contacts there is no Outlook Address book tab to enable "Show this folder as an email address book". I can enable this option on the mail prolfile for Comms SSP but not when i add it as an additional mail box.

Any clues about this? Would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Shouvik

nlindq

Postby nlindq » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:19 pm

In the event that you can't get this working using your current approach, you could alternately move the contacts to a Public Folder, and only grant permissions to view/modify that folder to a group containing the relevant users. Contact Lists in Public Folders can definitely be shown as address books in Outlook.

hakimoto

Postby hakimoto » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:57 am

Sorry to hijack this thread, but nlindq, can you elaborate on that? When I make a shared contact folder in SWA, it is NOT visible in Outlook at all.
覇気元
Eroteme.org

nlindq

Postby nlindq » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:58 pm

hakimoto wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread, but nlindq, can you elaborate on that? When I make a shared contact folder in SWA, it is NOT visible in Outlook at all.

Hm... I haven't tried creating a shared contact list through SWA--I created mine through Outlook. I did run into ownership/permission issues due to the creator being the default owner--could that be part of your problem? Once the Contact List is visible in the public folders, it was necessary to modify the Properties for the folder and check the "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" box on the "Outlook Address Book" tab.

nlindq

Postby nlindq » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:10 pm

hakimoto wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread, but nlindq, can you elaborate on that? When I make a shared contact folder in SWA, it is NOT visible in Outlook at all.

Okay, I think your problem must be related to permissions. I just tried creating a test contacts folder in "Public Folders" through SWA. By default, Local users had no permissions at all. I set permissions for Local to "Publishing Editor" and the Test folder showed up in Outlook.

hakimoto

Postby hakimoto » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:30 pm

Thanks a lot for that info, I will try that out and hope it'll work for me!
覇気元

Eroteme.org

hakimoto

Postby hakimoto » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:20 am

I've tried that. It doesn't work. The folder will not show up in Outlook. Not even if I give explicit permissions to specific users.

Any suggestions? We really need a shared contacts solution...

EDIT: I tried making a contacts folder from inside Outlook 2003. That doesn't work at all. It will go through the dialogue but nothing shows up in public folders... I'm really at a loss here...
覇気元

Eroteme.org

brian.schnautz

Re: Shared Contacts not appearing in address book

Postby brian.schnautz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:50 am

Was a solution ever found regarding having an outlook address book of another user's contacts?
I'm am also wanting to accomplish the same thing since we 'do not' want to use public folders any more.
Thanks,
Brian

hakimoto

Re: Shared Contacts not appearing in address book

Postby hakimoto » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:25 am

Nearly two and a half years since my last post. Still no proper shared contacts in sight?
覇気元

Eroteme.org

Return to “Scalix Connect for MS Outlook”