Syncing to Smartphone

Discuss the Scalix Mobile Web Client

Moderator: ScalixSupport

chantman

Syncing to Smartphone

Postby chantman » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:41 am

Hi All,

I don't think this is quite the right forum to be posting under, but maybe someone can help me. I recently purchased a SmartPhone and I would like to be able to sync it up with my Scalix Mail, Tasks, Contacts, etc. How do I go about doing this?

Thanks,

-Chantman

kanderson

Postby kanderson » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:21 pm

In this forum, the answer would be to use the mobile webclient.

www.servername.com/m

And sign in.

I suspect that isn't what you're after though, so we'll need more information. What type of handheld is it? Palm, MS Mobile, Blackberry, Symbian, etc. Then, what are you running on your desktop, Linux, MacOS, or Windows?

Kev.

chantman

Postby chantman » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:56 pm

Sorry, I realize this is probably the wrong forum to post this in. I didn't know what would really be appropriate.

Anyways... I'm using a Motorola Q, running Windows Smartphone OS. On my desktop I'm running Windows XP with Office 2003.

Thanks.

kanderson

Postby kanderson » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:53 am

If you're running Scalix 11 (make sure it's 11.0.1) on the server, and 11.0.1 on the desktop, our experience is that it activesync v4.1 works fine. You NEED to use activesync version 4.1.

Kev.

chantman

Postby chantman » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:23 pm

We do have 11.0.1 running on the server. I tried the 11.0.1 connector, and I had multiple stability issues, so I went back to 10.

So, if I use ActiveSync, do I have to have the Smartphone connected directly to the computer, or can I do it through Verizon EVDO?

kanderson

Postby kanderson » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:19 am

Wireless, (over the air) sync can be accomplished by Notify.

Funabol will join this as a solution shortly, and can already be used in some cases, but not completely yet. I think the official line is that it isn't supported yet, but the forums will show that some people have made it work while others have failed.

The solution I've described is a cradle sync, where you'd need to be at the desktop to sync. Note that my personal experience with Notify and Scalix 11 has not been good.

Kev.

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:35 pm

W/rgds to Notify and Scalix 11, there were a couple of mixed statements.

We've been using this internally since we rolled out Scalix 11 (which started for us in August September and includes all our users since early December) with a single small problem in 11.0.0 that was fixed in 11.0.1.

Notify has not officially certified the solution, so their support was hesitant to take calls on this. However, in the meantime, certification is underway and we should be able to officially certifiy the integration in a couple weeks.

In the meantime, it is in "known to work" status and Scalix and Notify support teams have agreed to take calls on it and to escalate/process internally.

Hope this helps,
Florian.
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

eland

Connecting the HTC TyTN II Mobile Device

Postby eland » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:37 am

I am about to install a client's PDA/Phone to SCALIX, but am relatively new to the SCALIX product.

I assume that I shall have to use IMAP to connect it, but have noticed previous issues with PDA connectivity (Active Sync) to SCALIX does any one have a good set of do's and dont's for this process?

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:01 am

By in large, you should be fine syncing contacts and calendar items using USB-based ActiveSync. Using IMAP on the device at the same time should be ok as well.

Make sure that you use Outlook 2003 or later and the latest ActiveSync version from Microsoft as well as a Windows Mobile 5 or later device.

Please note that we'll also launch the commercial ActiveSync over the air option pretty soon. Please see http://www.scalix.com/enterprise/techno ... vesync.php for details.

Florian.

natediggs

Postby natediggs » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:48 pm

Does this ActiveSync work with Blackberry devices?

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:50 pm

no. I think RIM would really be the last people to implement their main competitors protocols on their devices, especially given that they make their money from the use of their proprietary infrastructure through the carriers.

Florian.

Return to “Scalix Mobile Web Client”