Newbie looking for information

Discuss the Scalix Mobile Web Client

Moderator: ScalixSupport

markrich

Newbie looking for information

Postby markrich » Wed May 13, 2009 11:07 am

Please excuse if I am posting in the wrong place.

I am about to install a Scalix system inside our network. My standard users with Apple Mail, Thunderbird etc. should be able to access the server via a IMAP proxy in the DMZ as should, I hope, my Blackberry and iPhone users, however the MAPI (Premium) users have been worrying me until I noticed on the website today that the Scalix Connect for Outlook can connect to the server via SSL without the need for proxies or VPN. However I cannot find much information beyond this statement.

Can someone elighten me on how this works and/or point me to some useful documentation on this client?

Thanks!

Mark Rich
Mirifice Ltd.

jangi

Re: Newbie looking for information

Postby jangi » Thu May 14, 2009 1:03 am

Scalix uses stunnel for SSL connections to its services, and it pretty much Just Works. All you'll need is the one ssl port open. FYI, using this connector requires a premium user license, in case you're using the community edition (which includes 10).

markrich

Postby markrich » Thu May 14, 2009 3:54 am

Thanks for the info.

I am looking to buy the small business edition with 20 premium users to satisfy the Outlook crowd amoung us. The rest of my users will use IMAP/SMTP and connect to the server via an IMAP proxy. I hope that set up will be okay.

Is this Outlook connector compatible with all Windows and Outlook flavours?

What is the port I need to open on my firewall to allow this connector to work?

Thanks!

Marky

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Thu May 14, 2009 5:29 am

For plain-text connections you will need port 5729 to be open, and for encrypted connections you will need port 5767.

As for compatibility, I would suggest Windows XP/Vista with Outlook 2003/2007. Windows 2000 and Outlook 2000/XP may not support all the newer features like Unicode, but I believe it still works correctly. However, support for these may be dropped in the near future.

markrich

Postby markrich » Thu May 14, 2009 9:49 am

Many thank yous.
This information will save me a week's work experimenting with MAPI proxies on servers in the DMZ.
:-)

If the connector uses STUNNEL to connect securely, do I need both ports open? Authentication to the server I hope to use a certificate for. So should I only be using the more secure port or both?

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Thu May 14, 2009 9:53 am

You only need the one to be open.

tonysu

Postby tonysu » Sat May 30, 2009 10:50 pm

Remember, unless something has changed you need to setup a <separate> SMTP Server for outbound mail servicingexternal clients.

Unless it's been fixed when I wasn't looking, that is...

Tony

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Sun May 31, 2009 1:37 pm

FWIW, the server-side setup for stunnel to prepare for outlook over SSL is covered in the Scalix Setup And Configuration Guide. On the client side, it's pretty much a checkbox during outlook profile creation.

Outlook doesn't use SMTP, the scalix connector handles all operations over a single TCP connection.

IMAP clients typically need SMTP to submit messages, recommendation is to enable the "submission" listener on port 587 in smtpd.cfg, then setup stunnel (again, see above guide) to secure traffic on port 465 (SMTPS) and redirect to 587. you'll then need 465 and 993 (IMAP/SSL) through the firewall.

Florian.
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

RSisco

Postby RSisco » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:33 am

Just a note regarding this comment in the original post:

markrich wrote:... as should, I hope, my Blackberry and iPhone users...

I have my iPhone set up using the Scalix server via imap and it works flawlessly. I even get access to the public mail folders that we have setup. I do use a separate server for my smtp connection on my iphone (this was just simpler for me).

Richard
I have officially quit using Scalix, but continue to visit the forums
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scalix Server 11.4.6.13676
Scalix Connect 11.4.6.9214
SWA 11.4.6.12377
Outlook 2007
CentOS 5.3

Return to “Scalix Mobile Web Client”