Workaround for bug

Discuss the Scalix Mobile Web Client

Moderator: ScalixSupport

graemef

Workaround for bug

Postby graemef » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:05 am

Is there a workaround for the "No Text" bug. Our CEO has finally had enough and is pushing to replace the mail servers with exchange so our road users can use their phones as clients.

This really disappoints me as one of the main selling points I had for Scalix was the phone client, but it appears this area no longer receives any attention as this bug has made it completely unusable ever since it has existed.

I had been hoping to push Scalix as a common platform across our corporate (25 offices in 7 countries) as there is no standard across any offices to date and we are the first "technology" branch in the company. I think I have probably blown this as in the CEO's eyes he has only been after one bug fix since I put the first server in and nothing has happened. This is really annoying as I have seen this product develop over the last 3 or 4 years and really enjoy using it.

patrickmoore

Me too!

Postby patrickmoore » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:47 am

FWIW this is a real annoyance for me too... I am the only one in my company using the mobile client, but as I work without a laptop from various locations at all hours, I really need this to work. It works really well but for this one bug. However, given the number of messages I receive which trigger the bug, this does make the mobile client largely unusable. So, PLEASE, Scalix, help us out here!

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:44 pm

What do you mean by the 'no text' bug? Is this referring to an existing support case or bugzilla entry? If you really need support under any kind of SLA, you should actually purchase and use a commercial support entitlement....

Florian.
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

graemef

Postby graemef » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:24 pm

Aparently the bug is this one http://bugzilla.scalix.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14859 as reported march last year. We don't have commercial support as just a selection of users are on the server as a trial that has not been allowed to go into production until this bug is fixed.
I don't think we should have to have a commercial support agreement to get bugs reported and fixed, this particular bug affects about 40% of our emails so I don't really see that it is a minor bug. Is there still development on the mobile client ?

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:36 pm

Well, although there is an attachment to the bug that shows a sample in the Mobile Web client, the bug itself is reported against the server. As for IMAP clients, it doesn't seem to occur anymore - I am using Apple Mail and an IMAP-connected Blackberry client every day and don't get that effect with my production email, therefore I have already proposed to close the bug as WORKSFORME, as nor reproducible scenario exists. Given that it's overloaded with conflicting bits of information, I am now actually tempted to close it INVALID and request new bugs to be opened for remaining issues.

So I understand your issue is about the Mobile Web Client? I don't think we have that particular issue reported against it, so I would suggest that you actually log one with full reproduction instructions against that very component. You do not have to have commercial support to be allowed to do that, however and quite obviously if we get a support request through that channel that points to a specific issue, it impacts the priority of us working on it - things that are not reported by any of our commercial customers as affecting them are generally treated as lower priority and as we don't have any development cycles to spare with everything on our plate, may get pushed forward for quite a while before addressed.

In my current experience, the MWC is not widely used and we get very few problem reports, if any, with regards to it......

Now, if this is blocking you from deploying the product, you should at least make your Scalix sales contact aware of it, so that he annotates the issue with a customer reference - again something that surely impacts priority from our perspective.

Cheers,
Florian

graemef

Postby graemef » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:56 am

Hi Florian,
With regards to logging a bug report I am not 100% sure what triggers the "No Text" message. I can provide samples of emails that cause the problem and others that don't. What is the best way of extracting the actual email from Scalix to ensure all the header information etc is not modified or anything.
Perhaps if others are also having this issue they can throw their two cents worth in so we can try and work out what is causing the actual problem ?

ng

Postby ng » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:54 am

hi florian,

i can confim this problem/bug which exists since the first release of scalix mobile.
in my case this can be reproduced with mails sent from an exchange 2000/lOL2003 or a lotus notes server.

if you want i can provide an sxmboxexp or mime.browse output to you directly.

nikolaus

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:05 pm

Well, if there is a reproduction scenario, it would be best to log a bug with full information and data or open a support case.

generally, as NG proposes, an sxmboxexp file containing the item in question is the highest-fidelity way of providing problematic data.

Best,
Florian.

Return to “Scalix Mobile Web Client”