imap and sent items

Discuss the Scalix Messaging Services

Moderator: ScalixSupport

jbru

imap and sent items

Postby jbru » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:21 am

Hi,

We're using Scalix in combination with Thunderbird. The protocol we're using is IMAP and also send all messages trough the server. All so far so good, but when we send a mail he always has to send the items 2 times. This is because we also want the mail to be in "sent items". So a 10 Mb mail is 110 mb for the recepient and 10 mb again for the sent items. Takes a long time this way... So he first sends the mail to the recepient and then he "sends" it to sent items. I thought the IMAP protocol could do this better with just sending it once to the server.

Now my question is: Is this a Scalix "problem" (or should I change some settings?), or is the way Thunderbird handles the sent items a problem?

I realy would like the server to automaticly put it to sent items with just one time sending.

Thanks in advance!

J
There are 10 people who understand binary, they who do and they who don't.

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Re: imap and sent items

Postby Valerion » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:40 am

You can set up Thunderbird to write to the Sent Items folder, you will just have to correctly set it up in the client. It's under Copies & Folders under your account settings.

jbru

Postby jbru » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:06 pm

Yes I know, but this is exactly the problem. We use this option to copy all our send messages to the sent item folder so when we log on webmail we can see all our sent mails. But it always costs 2 times sending. I was hoping there was a option to send it once to the server and tell to the server to copy the file internally. Is there such a option?

J

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby les » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:58 am

jbru wrote:I was hoping there was a option to send it once to the server and tell to the server to copy the file internally. Is there such a option?

J

But this is how it works as long as your outgoing server is the scalix server. You hit send and it transfers to the server, then the server locally copies to sent items if instructed to do so by thunderbird's client side setting.
Regards,

Les Stott

jbru

Postby jbru » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:10 am

oh, sorry I didn't understand the server could copy it locally to sent items :oops: . It now copies the sent items from the client to the server. Do you know which setting in Thunderbird I have to set to let it copy the mail locally to sent items?

J

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby les » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:58 am

jbru wrote:oh, sorry I didn't understand the server could copy it locally to sent items :oops: . It now copies the sent items from the client to the server. Do you know which setting in Thunderbird I have to set to let it copy the mail locally to sent items?

J

See Valerion's post earlier on.....
Regards,

Les Stott

Return to “Scalix Messaging Services”