Create external distribution list

Discuss the Scalix Messaging Services

Moderator: ScalixSupport

natediggs

Create external distribution list

Postby natediggs » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to create a large external distribution list so if someone sends an email to distro@domain.com then it will send the email out to the entire list. The list is around 800 people I don't really want to create 800 new contacts in the companies contacts list in order to make this happen. Most email suites have a really simple solution to this. I just migrated to Scalix from Zimrba and you could just create a distribution list and then paste all of the email addresses into the distribution list. Is there no feature like this in Scalix?

I've tried creating a rule in the account to do this but it will only send it to the first email on the list and then it creates a long chain of emails by adding each subsequent email together. If this isn't a feature it should be added. It is fairly common in my experience that companies need large external email lists.

Nate

natediggs

Re: Create external distribution list

Postby natediggs » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:00 pm

OK, well, there doesn't appear to be an automated way to do this which is very frustarting... So, what I did was created a user on the server and then created a redirect rule for each of the email addresses in the list using a text file with each address in it and the sxaa command.

sxaa --user dl@domain.com --redirect email@externaldomain.com

So I have 800 rules for this user. Not sure how much this is going to slow down the server but we'll see.

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Re: Create external distribution list

Postby Valerion » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:49 pm

For something like this I would install mailman or a similar tool. Makes your life a lot easier.

Return to “Scalix Messaging Services”