SMTP settings?

Discuss the Scalix Messaging Services

Moderator: ScalixSupport

fayrmat

SMTP settings?

Postby fayrmat » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:59 am

I have inherited a Scalix server: platform: 11.0.2.23 & server version: 11.0.2.17.

I have an interesting SMTP issue.

One of my printers successfully sends scans via SMTP to the server and they arrive successfully. This was not configured by me.

I am trying to get 3 other devices/software (not all printers) to send SMTP traffic to the Scalix server, but am not having any success. I have checked smtpd.cfg and have set it so that it will accept all internal SMTP traffic.
However, my 3 devices are not able to connect via SMTP.
Iam able to telnet to port 25 and send SMTP commands that way without any issue from one of the internal servers (running one of the pieces of software).
How do I tell if SMTP needs to authenticate, and if it does, what type of authentication it is using?

Please could someone give me some hints or tips on which area of Scalix I should be looking at, and what settings should be set so as to troubleshoot this?

Thanks, your assistance is appreciated.

schmoe90
Scalix
Scalix

Postby schmoe90 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:29 pm

You shouldn't need to authenticate when sending to a Scalix user, or you'd never receive mail from the internet.

What is the printer saying / doing?

fayrmat

Postby fayrmat » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:50 pm

The printer says "could not connect". And it says it whether I put a login & password in or I don't.
Similarly, the other software that needs to send SMTP is saying "Test email failed".

I have the right IP and right port.

Is it possible that there is a setting somewhere that is restricting which hosts the Scalix server accepts SMTP traffic from?

Is the smtpd.cfg the correct place for that setting? Or is there another location? Are there more than one smtpd.cfg? Could I be editing the wrong one?

schmoe90
Scalix
Scalix

Postby schmoe90 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:59 pm

There's one smtpd.cfg, and I think the problem's most likely to be on the printer end - smtp is fairly basic. "could not connect" suggests networking.

fayrmat

Postby fayrmat » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:19 am

but i have two other pieces of software that are also failing to send SMTP. And I'm giving the software and the printer the correct IP address and port (25).

And one of the pieces of software is actually sitting on the Scalix server.

i am so unimpressed with Scalix and very frustrated.

is there a log that i can look at that would show me failed attempts to send smtp?

schmoe90
Scalix
Scalix

Postby schmoe90 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:34 pm

You can debug the SMTP daemon.

fayrmat

Postby fayrmat » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:18 pm

How do I debug the smtp daemon

schmoe90
Scalix
Scalix

Postby schmoe90 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:29 pm

You put debug_log=true in the smtpd.cfg file. It's been answered many times in these forums.

Return to “Scalix Messaging Services”