Disappearing Emails

Discuss the Scalix Messaging Services

Moderator: ScalixSupport

RSisco

Disappearing Emails

Postby RSisco » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:32 pm

I have two users who have reported this behavior. They have each had a new email arrive and Outlook showed the preview bubble in the system tray, but when going into Outlook to read the email, it's gone. The message doesn't appear in SWA either.

They have no filters or rules applied.

We are using Outlook 2007 and Scalix 11.4.2. But I am pretty sure this has happened with a previous version of Scalix also.

Richard

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:36 pm

I suggest you check the audit logs (especially on LD) as that would tell you the time and date as well as whether a server-side rule was applied or not. Also check the Recovery Items for the user, it may be in there.

RSisco

Postby RSisco » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:46 pm

Well, I guess I forgot to mention that I am running Community Edition - so no recovery items. When I run omshowaud, all my audit levels are set to 0 except Service Router which is 7. What should they be set to in order catch the info I need?

schmoe90
Scalix
Scalix

Postby schmoe90 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:02 pm

9 is the best level to catch stuff in the audit logs.

RSisco

Postby RSisco » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:13 am

How do I view the audit logs?

schmoe90
Scalix
Scalix

Postby schmoe90 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:41 pm

They're dumb text files, so whatever you want - grep, cat, more, vi...

Brian Jones

Disappearing emails

Postby Brian Jones » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:43 am

Greetings,

Yesterday I noticed that the folder to which my brian.jones2 emails go was showing the number of new mails, but when I clicked in it, they weren't there - and the new mail number in bold disappeared. This happened a number of times. That evening I found 24 new mails which didn't disappear time stamped throughout the day and started reading them. Having dealt with about 6 the rest disappeared.

I checked my mail through webmail and found most of them.

When I returned to Outlook Express (6 not 7 by the way) a whole batch of emails in that folder had gone, reducing the number to 5,000 - OK, yes other folders also have several thousands of emails. I have now deleted loads from various folders.

This morning my 'Brian' folder was down to 4,500. I logged into webmail and found new mail. I did a receive and the new mail triggered the number in bold after the folder name - but they didn't appear on screen. After half a minute the number in bold disappeared.

When more mail arrived at the webmail site I repeated the exercise and it happened again. :cry:

I unchecked the rule that puts it in the 'Brian' folder, sent myself an email and it arrived OK in my 'Inbox' folder. :)

Any ideas?

Brian Jones

Disappearning emails

Postby Brian Jones » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:54 am

Further info -

I've just moved the 4,500 emails from 'Brian' to a newly created temp folder.

The drive rattled away and eventually Outlook gave an error message and closed. When I restarted it, the new folder had 4,500 but the original 'Brian' folder still had 25 in it.

I am two-thirds of the way through a full McAfee scan by the way. No problems identified yet.

Brian Jones

Disappearning emails

Postby Brian Jones » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:56 am

I'm getting information that when a dbx file gets too large it is prone to corruption. Looks like this could be the reason.

I'm about to set up a back up schedule for them.

mikethebike

Postby mikethebike » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:52 am

Brian,

like Schmoe says, you may find more info by looking either at the audit log, event log or fatal log.

do you see anything in the fatal log, anything like "container extension full"?
Also, increase the audit log level to 9 (omconfaud ld 9), and then look at the audit log to see if the mails are actually being delivered.

you may also want to increase the event log level to 9 (omconflvl local 9), then check the local delivery event prior to an email not appearing. I think you may even need to incrase that to "11" to see if the rules are successful.

Mick

Brian Jones

Audit logs

Postby Brian Jones » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:17 pm

I'm not up on the audit logs. Where do I find out about them?

RSisco

Re: Disappearing Emails

Postby RSisco » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:41 am

Just a followup from my end. My issue has been solved. We have a PC running a remote desktop software that various people in the office connect to and share an application. What was happening was they were seeing the email preview balloon on the remote desktop and not realizing it, and then opening their Outlook and having no emails (because the remote desktop is a different Scalix user). I was so happy when I realized that this was what was happening. So I just turned off the email notifications on that computer, problem solved.
I have officially quit using Scalix, but continue to visit the forums
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scalix Server 11.4.6.13676
Scalix Connect 11.4.6.9214
SWA 11.4.6.12377
Outlook 2007
CentOS 5.3

mikethebike

Re: Disappearing Emails

Postby mikethebike » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:43 am

Its always the same...everything is great until you let users loose on you system!!! :)

Return to “Scalix Messaging Services”