append an email into scalix account from external

Discuss the Scalix Messaging Services

Moderator: ScalixSupport

hvle

append an email into scalix account from external

Postby hvle » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:58 am

hi guys,

How can I copy an email directly into a scalix account's inbox? This must be done thru scalix api because the email is not already in scalix. The reason is that we have our own email archive (archive before scalix smtp) and for recovery purpose, we need to copy the exact email into the account.

Thanks

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:31 am

You can place it there with IMAP if you want. Probably the easiest, other than submitting it over SMTP.

For interest sake, why would a SMTP submission not work for you? That will place it directly into the INBOX as well, barring any applied rules. The only disadvantage to SMTP I can see is the delivery time.

If the purpose is DR / machine recovery, a better solution will be to have backups, instead of trying to rebuild the mailstore from an archive. If you're worried about users deleting email, Recovery Items handle this well.

hvle

Postby hvle » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:42 pm

Hi Valerion,

The email archive is there in comply with legal requirements, but it can also be recovery source in case someone lose something. Our previous systems used mmdf/mbox so it was very simple to copy the email into. My main concern is that the email need to be exactly as it was, header must be the same (time, id..etc). By not being smtp expert, I am afraid that submitting via smtp would result in changes to the header.

Thanks,

Huy

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:46 am

Then I think you should investigate IMAP for this.

An archive sitting outside of Scalix will not contain messages sent between internal users, as this never leaves the system. In the commercial versions you can create an archive inside Scalix as well.

hvle

Postby hvle » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:35 pm

Thanks Valerion,
Unless there is absolute no other way, imap is the way to go.

Return to “Scalix Messaging Services”