Appointments creating using API do not show up in freebusy

Discuss the Scalix Messaging Services

Moderator: ScalixSupport

ssorrell

Appointments creating using API do not show up in freebusy

Postby ssorrell » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:37 am

If an appointment is created using some java code via the API, it will not show up in free/busy data (retrieved via HTTP GET) until I "visit" the appointment using SWA. Where a "visit" consists of me clicking on the newly created appointment, and then immediatley clicking "save". After this is completed, and after the free/busy information is published, I can see the newly created appointment in the free/busy information.

This seems like it might be a problem related to Scalix not publishing the free/busy information unless SWA is accessed. If this is so, is there a way to "force" Scalix to publish freebusy information (preferably using the API)?

I am using Scalix version 11.3.0.97.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

ssorrell

Postby ssorrell » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:07 pm

After some more research, I have discovered that Scalix does not publish freebusy information unless the user logs in and modifies an appointment.
http://www.scalix.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... 01-DST2007

Code: Select all

Free/busy information
In Scalix, free/busy information is summarised and updated by the client. Therefore, the tool will not directly update free/busy information. However, as soon as the user logs into Scalix and adds or updates any entry to her or his calendar, free/busy information will be re-published and subsequently be up to date.

My question now is if there is an easy way to force the free/busy information to be updated without a user login.

schmoe90
Scalix
Scalix

Postby schmoe90 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:36 pm

Does your java code publish the free/busy information? The client needs to do that, and your code is acting as a client.

ssorrell

Postby ssorrell » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:12 pm

Here is what is being produced by my code when an event is entered

Code: Select all

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
VERSION:2.0
METHOD:PUBLISH
BEGIN:VEVENT
UID: 0fa05438-eb76-462d-8925-cd777eff0790
LAST-MODIFIED:20080811T160600
DTSTAMP:20080811T160600
DTSTART:20080818T141500
DTEND:20080818T150000
TRANSP:OPAQUE
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-BUSYSTATUS:
BUSY
SEQUENCE:0
DESCRIPTION: testing
SUMMARY: 123
CLASS:PUBLIC
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

To be honest, this isn't entirely my code, it was inherited from another developer, so please feel free to alert me if anything seems unusual.

It looks as though I am publishing the appointment (and also the free/busy info?), as shown by METHOD:PUBLISH, but if I am mistaken please let me know.

ssorrell

Postby ssorrell » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:24 am

Does anybody have any thoughts on how to publish freebusy information without using SWA or Outlook?

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:27 am

You can either use the web services API to publish it (http://servername/api/docs for documentation) or you can use ommodent in the FREEBUSY directory on the server, but them you will have to understand the FREEBUSY structure.

CalDAV will likely be another way, but IIRC free/busy is not yet fully implemented.

ssorrell

Postby ssorrell » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:33 pm

I would like to use the Web Services API to update the data.

In the documentation at http://servername/api/docs#freebusy it says

Updating Freebusy Data
Using HTTP POST, you can update your own freebusy data. The supplied data in the POST body has to be of content-type text/calendar and be valid iCal freebusy (similar to what is returned through GET).

I don't quite understand the meaning of the word "update" in this sentence. If iCal freebusy data is sent through HTTP POST to the server, would it then replace all the data currently stored for the user?

What I have been trying to do is whenever an appointment is submitted (through the API), I have also been grabbing all of the current free/busy data and POSTing it back to the server along with the newest event added in. So far, this has led to no success. My freebusy data still does not update until I modify an event in SWA.

Thoughts?

Return to “Scalix Messaging Services”