anyone ever installed a 'lowtech' webinterface?

Discuss the Scalix Server software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

heupink

anyone ever installed a 'lowtech' webinterface?

Postby heupink » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:59 am

dear all.

Is there anyone here who has ever installed a kind of 'lowtech' webinterface, NEXT TO the 'hightech' version that scalix provides?

The basic idea is, that with the web interface you basically want to provide EVERYONE with means to read their mail from anywhere. Currently (due to the 'hightech' interface) only certain ie versions on windows are supported. (I know, they are working on a mozilla version... but still: opera? konqueror? pda's? lot's of things talk to the web nowadays...)

This made me think of giving users an option: login to the hightech or the lowtech interface. Possibly even automatic. When browser requirements are not met, you would be redirected to the lowtech interface. (better than simply saying: sorry, your browser is not supported...)

Any ideas here about this?

zandrew

Postby zandrew » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:37 am

Hi,
I think any web-based pop or imap client will work.
Also you cat try included PDA client.
http://yourservername/Scalix/web
Regards,

Andrew Z.

ScalixSupport
Scalix
Scalix

Postby ScalixSupport » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:05 am

Let me provide two answers to this question.

First Scalix has announced a version of Scalix Web Access that works in Mozilla Browsers for availability in late summer. When available, Mozilla users on Mac, Linux, Unix and Windows will have the same set of high tech functionality that is available with SWA on IE today. As was noted in the original post, SWA is a "high tech" solution that offers significant advantages in functionality, look and feel, performance and usability over the more familiar low tech web email clients. This is clearly our preferred direction.

Second, if you have an immediate need for webmail and non-IE browsers prior to late summer, any POP or IMAP Web client should work. Internally we've tried the open source SquirrelMail Web Client and it works, but offers basic email capabilities only.

WY-IT-guy

Postby WY-IT-guy » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:40 am

For something really simple, I have used Uebimiau before. I chose it because it did not require a MYSQL database--it was easy to set up--at least the version that I was using.. (just uses PHP scripts and apache)

http://www.uebimiau.org/

This could be installed on a low-end linux box with a separate IP address for reading mail as a temporary stop gap until you get the full blown version working in Mozilla.

Return to “Scalix Server”