Fedora and Scalix 11.4.6

Discuss the Scalix Server software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

echelon

Fedora and Scalix 11.4.6

Postby echelon » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:08 am

I have a server running Scalix 11.4.6 on Redhat RHEL 5.x I now have a new mail server so would like to retask the old one. But I would like- at least for the near future - to keep the mail store on the old server as a backup instance until we are sure everything really is running OK on the new server.

Our RHEL5 subscription has expired and RHEL5 is really too old to be of any use for anything besides Scalix. I would like to reinstall the machine with some version of Fedora Core Linux. I see that FC9 is a compatible system- has anyone been able to make this work with FC11 or later? I don't need to run scalix routinely on this machine- I just want to option to start it up and retrieve existing e-mail via Outlook or IMAP if necessary.

Thanks

polleke

Re: Fedora and Scalix 11.4.6

Postby polleke » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:05 pm

why don't you use Centos.. IT works like a charm and is bug for bug compatible with RHEL
Kind regards,

Paul

echelon

Postby echelon » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:43 pm

two reasons-

Most other linux machines in our environment are running FC11.

RHEL5 (and presumably Centos equivalent) have a limited selection of pacakges in the repository, and tend not to get updated frequently. I prefer a distro that at least as fairly recent version of things like emacs and samba.

polleke

Postby polleke » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:26 pm

The difference between a fedora and a Centos /RHEL installation are not that big.. Fedora is on teh bleeding edge and Centos RHEL are the stable(!!) enterprise targeted distros. You have the same tools and command syntax as your fedora but are supported to be sound and stable for the coming years.

RHEL and Centos are being patched constantly but the newer releases of software (like samba) tend to be not included..

But if you have multiple servers you don't need to have both Scalix and Samba on one server. I would advise against it in heavier enviroments for Scalix can be I/O intensive..
But hey on a smaller system /enviroment you might need to so..

What i usually do is install a Centos box and install missing packages from RPMforge.

If you want state of the art stuff and install Scalix on the same server use an (additional) EPEL repo. BUT:

Scalix 11.4.6 is supported on the following platforms:

* Scalix Server: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4/5, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 91/10, CentOS 4/5, Fedora 9 and OpenSuSE 11.0. Supported architectures are i386 and x86_64.

Note: Fedora 9 and OpenSuSE 11 are supported for evaluation purposes and Community Edition use only; these are generally less suitable for production environments than their "enterprise" counterparts due to their frequent updates and short release cycles

Note: An unsupported Community Edition package for Debian-based Linux distributions is also available.

1) Scalix 11.4 will be the last release to support SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9. It is recommended that you upgrade your server to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10.

taken from the releasenotes
http://downloads.scalix.com/rn/scalix-11.4.6-GA-releasenotes.html#mozTocId252172

Apparently it is a problem to support quickly changing platforms ..
Kind regards,

Paul

Return to “Scalix Server”