sxmboxexp performance

Discuss the Scalix Server software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

markusrp

sxmboxexp performance

Postby markusrp » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:26 am

Hi,

the export of the public folders (130GB) exceed 10 hours (average speed 4MB per second). Apart from that, the system works quite good. So I want to ask if anyboby have a hint which component is "usual" the bottleneck for sxmboxexp. Or the other way around what hardware upgrade could push the process most (CPU, memory, harddisk, ...)?

The Scalix server is a Xen based virtual Cent-OS 5 server running on with 4GB memory, dual processor, SAN storage. I expected a little more, than 4MB per seconds...

best regards

Markus

magnus

Re: sxmboxexp performance

Postby magnus » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:50 am

Try with and without compression and check iostat and CPU utilization and look into running more parallell processes and adjust compression for speed not size. Try lzop instead of gzip if you compress the dumps which can make a big difference.

IMHO, disk is often a bottleneck so look there first and try to optimize SAN and spread load. IE. multipath, different (and many) disks for read vs dump, avoid raid5/6 and similar for better write performance. Try to utilize snapshots in the SAN and dump from snapshot instead on a different system than production (if resources are available).

Just my two cents... :)

markusrp

Postby markusrp » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:25 am

Thank you for your answer magnus.

Unfortunaltely we are limited how the backups are dumped and compressed. We want to use SEP sesam backup, so that also non technical person are able to restore there mails. :( That was the only software I found for scalix backup with a GUI.

ltward

Postby ltward » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:25 am

magnus wrote:IMHO, disk is often a bottleneck so look there first and try to optimize SAN and spread load. IE. multipath, different (and many) disks for read vs dump, avoid raid5/6 and similar for better write performance.

EXCELLENT advice! (emphasis added by me)

Return to “Scalix Server”