WebDAV Access Control Protocol

Discuss the Scalix Server software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

ebhannes

WebDAV Access Control Protocol

Postby ebhannes » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Hi there,

does Scalix 11.4.6 support WebDAV Access Control Protocol?

Situation in Thuderbird with Lightning 1.02b:
My task is find out what's the reason for the error message "Modification_Failed" when trying to delete a calendar entry which i created before. I get the error only in my personal calendar, not in some public calendars, where everyone has, ...i think.. "Author" permission. Trying to selfgrant maximum permission doesn't help (had done that in webmail)
Same message when trying to turn off reminders, but this doesn't work in every calendar.

in Webmail:
everythings fine.

Could anyone give me a hint about the problem? and to make testing easier, please tell me which service i have to restart that permission changes are directly applied (think it's not the case, wonder why).

Thanks
Hannes

BaldBoy

Re: WebDAV Access Control Protocol

Postby BaldBoy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:41 am

AFAIK the only working Tunderbird/lightning version bundle properly working with Scalix CalDAV is TB 2.x and lightning 0.9 (which is the one I use without problems)

I guess that "b" in the lightning 1.02b version means a beta version.

ebhannes

Postby ebhannes » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:20 am

Thanks for your answer, BaldBoy.

Lightning 1.0 beta2 is the latest stable release built for Thunderbird 3.1

This is what mozilla site tells me about the version. a beta which is stable? I wonder about this since 1.01b.

Anyway..the problem is that i need to keep Thunderbird secure and update all the time. Theres no choice to select a different version of lightning cause no other one fits to TB. This issue and many else i found in every version before.
Changing TB and Lightning wouldn't probably fix it.

"WebDAV Access Control Protocol" as rfc 3744 should be mentioned somewhere at scalix.
If it's not supported it's useless to investigate in this issue and would save me a lot of time.

Bye

BaldBoy

Postby BaldBoy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:55 am

As per Scalix's statement they have honoured RFC4791 http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4791.txt with a sort of self explaining disclaimer : while CalDAV is based on an open Internet standard (RFC4791), implementations vary. You can find their wiki page here: http://www.scalix.com/wiki/index.php?title=TB/TB-2008-01-CALDAV

Nevertheless lightning 1.02b (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/releases/lightning1.0b2.html), at the time of this writing, still reports a quite serious list of known issues ("By weekday" and "by day" recurrence types (such as "recur on the last weekday of the month") are not supported. - :shock: - this sounds like a huge problem - maybe your specific event falls into this case ?). This brings me to the assumption that a beta is, overall, a beta no matter how stable to declare it to be.

Your need to stay up to date with TB is, in my very very humble opinion, arguable: TB3 vs TB2 consisted mainly in feature improvements rather than in security fixes. I personally do not love TB3 (mainly the new indexing over search folders which is almost neverending on bloated mailboxes). I decided to stay on TB2 (regularly patched) mainly due to wide availability of plug-ins like, of course, a stable non-beta working-with-scalix version of lightning, and Funambol.

This said, I'd consider the stability and security of the whole system (TB + LIGHTNING + SCALIX) instead of blaming on a single component: maybe it's Scalix's fault or maybe it's lightning (I'd point my finger on lightning as the older 0.9 is working properly).

But, again, this is my personal opinion and, plainly, it's not meant to be valid for everyone.

Bye

Return to “Scalix Server”