Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Discuss the Scalix Server software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

Beaujolais
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:47 pm
Location: Burlington, Ontario

Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby Beaujolais » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:45 pm

Don't wait for miracles, those are in fairy tales only.
I've already moved most of my clients off Scalix, last one to be done in couple months.

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 8:56 pm
Location: Kingston, NY
Contact:

Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby billb3 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:02 pm

Beaujolais wrote:Don't wait for miracles, those are in fairy tales only.
I've already moved most of my clients off Scalix, last one to be done in couple months.

Curious what you moved them to?

Beaujolais
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:47 pm
Location: Burlington, Ontario

Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby Beaujolais » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:22 pm

GoogleApps

gravety
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:02 pm

Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby gravety » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:43 am

Beaujolais wrote:GoogleApps


What migration tools did you use and how have you found it?

Thanks.

Beaujolais
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:47 pm
Location: Burlington, Ontario

Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby Beaujolais » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:39 pm

I'm dealing with smal businesses mostly so e-mail was easily migrated through IMAP, contacts through export/import and calendar was manual re-entry.
That said, Google offers various migration tools and API for much more sophisticated migration approach ;)

eddieedwards
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:23 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby eddieedwards » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:11 pm

In regards to Google Apps, I moved our organization over earlier this year. Pretty satisfied with it, despite my nervousness about not having an email server here on site (although it actually has its advantages too). I had a small (50) user base and after having a few problems with the IMAP migration tools that Google provides, I purchased a tool from Cloud Technology Solutions that works with Scalix. Had a couple of problems migrating due to bugs, but those were quickly rectified and no data was lost. Only one user had a problem during the migration, and that was due to her having 2,500(!) Outlook folders.

We had been using Scalix since 2006 and the lack of recent updates and user frustration with the buggy Outlook connector made me decide to switch. I was kinda sad to do so. I'm a big advocate of Linux and Open Source, but the move to Google made sense for us in the end. We used SLOX before Scalix and one reason we went with Google is that I'm pretty confident they won't go out of business any time soon.

EDIT: I should add that we were a corporate customer and I was going to wait for the license renewal reminder to tell Scalix/Xandros we were not renewing. I never heard from anyone at Xandros to renew and the license expired back in May. You'd think they would at least want to string along existing customers to keep *some* revenue coming in. I can't imagine too many people wanting to stick it out in hopes something happens in 2012 to reinvigorate the project.

Cheers,
Mike
Last edited by eddieedwards on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

pcperfect

Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby pcperfect » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:41 am

I'm done with scalix. Migrated most scalix installs to zarafa, mostly using zentyal.
Had one scalix mass corrupting it's data on migration, but luckely most was already done.

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:18 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby les » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:05 pm

eddieedwards wrote:In regards to Google Apps, I moved our organization over earlier this year. Pretty satisfied with it, despite my nervousness about not having an email server here on site (although it actually has its advantages too). I had a small (50) user base and after having a few problems with the IMAP migration tools that Google provides, I purchased a tool from Cloud Technology Solutions that works with Scalix. Had a couple of problems migrating due to bugs, but those were quickly rectified and no data was lost. Only one user had a problem during the migration, and that was due to her having 2,500(!) Outlook folders.


Mike, i'm curios about two things....

1. did the imap sync tool from Cloud Technology Solutions get all the special folders (calendar, contacts, notes etc)? or did you have to do them manually? If it did, whats the name of the tool?

2. are you 100% sure that all mail transferred? With trying to migrate using pst files, import/export, the process works fine but you are left with randomly missing emails across all folders, and then if you redo the import/export, even if you tell it to not import duplicates, and hope to get the rest of the emails, it still doesn't get them all and you end up with duplicates. Just curious because my only real current way to ensure all mail is transferred is manually drag and drop imap folders. Very slow and cumbersome. If this imap sync tool can avoid this then its worth its weight in gold.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

Les Stott

eddieedwards
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:23 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby eddieedwards » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:35 pm

Les,

I didn't want to blatantly plug them, but since you asked: http://www.cloudsolutions.co.uk/resources/migration-tool/scalix/ It's not strictly an IMAP tool and while notes aren't supported, mail and calendars are. Contacts were a problem and I had to use PST export/imports for those in most cases. Ask them up front about this; maybe they have fixed it. They have a fully operational trial version that is limited to one or two users so you can do some testing without committing any money. Their support was very good as well and the price was well worth it.

And now that I think of it, I *did* have some emails go missing, but I later determined that to be due to the user having slashes in folder names. (I was able to change the file names and retrieve the mail.) The developers may have worked around that by now, but if you go this route, examine folder names for odd characters ahead of time to be safe.

Mike

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:18 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby les » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:47 pm

eddieedwards wrote:Les,

I didn't want to blatantly plug them, but since you asked: http://www.cloudsolutions.co.uk/resources/migration-tool/scalix/ It's not strictly an IMAP tool and while notes aren't supported, mail and calendars are. Contacts were a problem and I had to use PST export/imports for those in most cases. Ask them up front about this; maybe they have fixed it. They have a fully operational trial version that is limited to one or two users so you can do some testing without committing any money. Their support was very good as well and the price was well worth it.

And now that I think of it, I *did* have some emails go missing, but I later determined that to be due to the user having slashes in folder names. (I was able to change the file names and retrieve the mail.) The developers may have worked around that by now, but if you go this route, examine folder names for odd characters ahead of time to be safe.

Mike


Thanks for the info.

slashes, commas, quotes, a lot of special characters cause grief. Had a lot of those issues before, lengthy process to rename folders before syncing. Honestly, why does outlook let you create those in the first place? should be a standard to exclude those characters in any folder names whether your using scalix/exchange/pop/imap....but that's another story. ;)
Regards,

Les Stott

mmas
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:14 am
Location: Italy

Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby mmas » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:59 am

Sebring Software, Inc. Announced the Acquisition of Award Winning Scalix Email and Calendaring Platform from Xandros, Inc.

http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20110712005367/en
Last edited by mmas on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

polleke
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:09 am
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby polleke » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:21 am

Woohoot!

Let's all congratulate Sebring with the purchase and encourage them to quickly:

* Release minor bugfixes and updates
* Release a point release (11.5)
* rebuild the community by opening up development to the community..
Kind regards,

Paul

axslingr
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:39 am
Location: Arkansas, United States

Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby axslingr » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Certainly makes me feel better about things now! :D

Lance

anybody
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:28 am
Location: Munich, Germany
Contact:

Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby anybody » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:16 am

I don't know why I didn't do this earlier, bug I've just had a look at the Scalix Bugzilla statistics.

Image

Look at the right of the graph: Since about the beginning of 2010 (I would say February) every single one of those graphs has almost completely flatlined.
So either the Scalix development team
a) has stopped using bugzilla
or
b) has stopped developing

Make up your own mind which is more likely...
In my opinion this graph answers the question of this Thread "Where's Scalix 11.5 ?": It doesn't really exist :D

florian
Scalix
Scalix
Posts: 3852
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:16 am
Location: Frankfurt, Germany
Contact:

Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby florian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:37 am

anybody wrote:In my opinion this graph answers the question of this Thread "Where's Scalix 11.5 ?": It doesn't really exist :D


Well, I can't really agree on that.

Code: Select all

Oxymoron:~ florian$ telnet scalixmail.xandros.com 25
Trying 173.195.53.42...
Connected to scalixmail.xandros.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 scalixmail.xandros.com ESMTP Scalix SMTP Relay 11.5.0.14280; Fri, 14 Oct 2011 03:32:25 -0400 (EDT)


(I've had my mail account on a Scalix server running nightly builds of 11.5 for the last 2 years. And no, neither is the pic below photoshopped, it's really running on Chrome and showing a Tasks folder, nor is the above line faked in any way.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!


Return to “Scalix Server”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests