Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Discuss the Scalix Server software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

joako

Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby joako » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:22 pm

billb3 wrote:
florian wrote:So I'm not totally sure if the conclusions drawn from my lack of response are correct.

Since nobody else from Scalix will respond, I think it is pretty safe to declare Scalix dead. Very sad.

I didn't want to jump to this conclusion. But right now I was going to visit a bugzilla.something.com and by accident I entered the history for https://bugzilla.scalix.com. The SSL wildcard certificate for scalix has expired 8th Feb 2011 and not been renewed/reinstalled. I know it can be oversight, but given all the factors that have been discussed I can't come to any other conclusion.

I still hope for the best and I hope that Scalix still has a sales team that might get back to me, but I am going to start looking around at other solutions, the Scalix future doesn't seem too bright.
<Signature deleted... Florian>

camerond01

Postby camerond01 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:24 pm

I think given that one of the most active threads in the last month has been this one, it speaks volumes on where Scalix is at.
Cameron

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:32 pm

joako wrote:I spoke with Steve Langer via telephone 2nd December 2010 during which we discussed my concerns with Scalix. He said he was going to talk to Elena Rivera and get back to me. However there's been no response from Scalix. I've followed up with Steve via email 2nd December, 3rd December, 6th December and 31st January 2011.

Elena should gotten back to you just a few minutes ago. In parallel, we're trying to figure out what happened to your communications with Steve Langer, and they should have an answer for you on that, too.

Best,
Florian.
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

Eugene

Postby Eugene » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:51 pm

We've been waiting for 11.5 for a while ourselves...

Our local supplier reckons that the core Scalix business seems to be going about business as usual, dealing with support and sorting out licenses etc and they are quite happy to still sell us licenses etc.

We're basically sitting at a crossroads, not too sure on whether we should continue to put money into maintenance because we did not really "get" anything out of it last time around and with this thread and those other threads that got themselves deleted we're hesitant to spend money just for the sake of keeping our maintenance current.

I've been asked to ask about a roadmap again, so here goes: where can one find the Scalix roadmap?

Thanks,
Eugene
Eugene

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby les » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:14 am

Eugene wrote:We've been waiting for 11.5 for a while ourselves...

Our local supplier reckons that the core Scalix business seems to be going about business as usual, dealing with support and sorting out licenses etc and they are quite happy to still sell us licenses etc.

We're basically sitting at a crossroads, not too sure on whether we should continue to put money into maintenance because we did not really "get" anything out of it last time around and with this thread and those other threads that got themselves deleted we're hesitant to spend money just for the sake of keeping our maintenance current.

I've been asked to ask about a roadmap again, so here goes: where can one find the Scalix roadmap?

Thanks,
Eugene

And thats the big problem..... NO ROADMAP and No VALUE paying maintenance. Without a release since December 2009, most have paid a years worth of maintenance for no value. Those who haven't paid maintenance face having to pay the last years maintenance as well as this years (due to scalix's license model), if hell freezes over and a new release comes in the next few months.

In the past regular product updates/maintenance updates were the norm, at least every 6 months, so maintenance was viable. But now.....who knows. Scalix won't tell anyone anything.....

C'mon Scalix, give the community some kind of roadmap..........
Regards,

Les Stott

Jeremy James

Postby Jeremy James » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:16 am

Hello Les,
you summed it up 100% correctly. Since June 2010 i am having fancy Ticketnumbers with Scalix Support regarding the Blackberry- and the ActiveSync Connectors, nothing is moving on, support gets back to me every two months requesting information i sometimes had already sent and now finally a bugzilla number was opened confirming "there is already a other ticket open which is very similar to yours". I already told them i am not going to pay for support and software updates again unless these problems are solved.

Maintenance for my enterprise license (!, which are a few bucks) ended end of December 2010 and i am already wondering, even if they ever fix the blackberry- and active sync connector or even support Outlook 2010, how i will be able to install these updates, since the maintenance has ended, but anyone here give me one good reason, why i should extend the maintenance for another year if i do not even know WHEN or IF the bugs will be fixed and if the next update WOULD fix these bugs?

Honestly, there was no support at all for a year and i payed for this. actually scalix should at least give their paying customers a grace period where they can evaluate the next update which hopefully fixes some issues and THEN i would gladly renew the licenses. I cannot risk my job and buy a cat in a bag,

i really love this product, i do not want exchange, but i get trouble once a week from my CEOs regarding their blackberry problems, calendars not being able to be shared, smart cache issues, crashing outlook, mails getting duplicated and so on. This pressure is really affecting my health.

If only i had a roadmap from scalix i could trust.
i am sad, honestly.

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby les » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:21 am

Jeremy James wrote:i really love this product, i do not want exchange, but i get trouble once a week from my CEOs regarding their blackberry problems, calendars not being able to be shared, smart cache issues, crashing outlook, mails getting duplicated and so on. This pressure is really affecting my health.

If only i had a roadmap from scalix i could trust.
i am sad, honestly.

And that's the other thing, that perhaps Scalix/Xandros don't get......we ALL LOVE Scalix and think its a great product. We wouldn't use it otherwise. We all want it to come back to life and fix its bugs. None of us want to migrate all our clients to something else like Zimbra or Zarafa or Exchange, but we are being left with little or no choice........
Regards,

Les Stott

anybody

Postby anybody » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:53 am

I just tried to call the Offices of Scalix Germany to ask whether they still exist, but nobody's even answering the phones. Tried calling the US office and the Canadian Office (should be open IMHO - it's after 8am over there - which at least here in Germany is the usual start of business hours), but got only an answering machine at both offices.

Xandros really has a very strange way of shutting down products they bought.

Glad to hear that Zarafa is offering cross-upgrades, I will certainly look into this in the near future (and hope other vendors will follow with similiar announcements).

Switching the messaging platform is certainly a lot of work, but I can't keep on riding a dead horse forever. My license (subscription) runs till May 2011, but if nothing significant has happened in Q1 I probably will not even be able to wait till then (my main problems are Outlook 2010 and Activesync bugs).

Since no one is answering the phones, I've emailed my distributor and two contacts at Scalix/Xandros I had from some time back and inquired whether they have any information regarding the future of Scalix. I don't really expect a reply, let alone a reply containing relevant information, but hey it's a last try before giving up.

Update1: Distributor mailed back and told me they are no longer carrying Scalix (and therefor have no information).

RSisco

Postby RSisco » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:32 pm

I'd be wary of purchasing based solely on "word from Scalix" as Scalix has said many words that didn't hold up prior to their silence.

Richard
I have officially quit using Scalix, but continue to visit the forums
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scalix Server 11.4.6.13676
Scalix Connect 11.4.6.9214
SWA 11.4.6.12377
Outlook 2007
CentOS 5.3

mcbirne

Postby mcbirne » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:25 am

I have the information, that nearly all scalix developers are suspoended. Xandros will sell scalix till cebit 2011 or they will close it.

We will wait till March 2011. If there is no new version we will change our Mail system to one alternative system.

Jeremy James

Postby Jeremy James » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:33 am

Seing these speculations here i really think it's not a bad idea if somebody from Scalix could at least give SOME statement.
Anything is better than pure silence.

russh

Postby russh » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:38 am

if it's becoming AbandondedWare.. perhaps they can open-source *all* components and see if the community will take it forward.

tdeklein

Postby tdeklein » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:47 am

russh wrote:if it's becoming AbandondedWare.. perhaps they can open-source *all* components and see if the community will take it forward.

I think this is highly unlikely, because there is still a lot of code in it that belongs to HP. Back in the day when HP canceled OpenMail a lot of people were hoping that they open source it too.

I think it is as useless as beating a dead horse to ask Scalix/Xandros to inform their customers about the future of the product. From what happened so far one can only conclude that there is no future for Scalix. So we advised our customers not to put any more money in it and check the alternatives.

Cheers
Thomas

anybody

Postby anybody » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:58 am

Even if they were to fully open-source it (which I would consider HIGHLY unlikely, unless Google buys Scalix from Xandros), they have licensed the Exchange-Activesync Protocol from Microsoft - and without the nonpublic documentation of this, it would be rather hard to fix all those Activesync problems :(

German Scalix office told me recently that they might get bought by someone and then there will be a Q2 release. Then again, I heard from another source that there will be a Q3 release (and I would trust this "another source" more).

Q3 would be definitely too late for me. Unless they were to get bought by someone big whom we can trust to put some effort behind the product (and they will extend our subscription packages by at least 1/2 year for the trouble we have had), I will be long gone by then.

(by the way: 11.5 was "coming soon" in fall 2009, just in case someone has already forgotten this...)

zach

Postby zach » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:35 pm

I spoke with Steve Langer from Xandros earlier today. He hinted at a June 2011 release of Scalix 11.5. It should be noted, however, that he was trying to sell me a renewal. To little, to late for my company.

Return to “Scalix Server”