Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby tdeklein » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:54 am

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potemkinsches_Dorf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potemkin_village

polleke

Postby polleke » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:57 am

Florian for president..

Now Release it ! We would love to see outlook 2010 supported and modern browsers and bugfixes
Kind regards,

Paul

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:24 am

tdeklein wrote:http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potemkinsches_Dorf

Thomas,

with all due respect, and while I agree with you just like as with anyone else here that the fact it hasn't been brought to a stage where it can be released to the public is annoying and sad (and, as said in many other places, outside my personal control!) and I won't defend the company's management on that side, I don't think that you do have enough insight into the work that has been done inside the product and on the code to make that comparison. Your statement is actually something of an insult to people (talking developers!) who you don't know (I do!), whose work you have no right (and means, technically!) to judge in terms of their quality.

And no, what has been built so far has *NOT* been built to "show off something that isn't there"; certainly not. I actually do support your criticism, but if you read those Wikipedia articles and take them verbally, you probably want to take that particular statement back.

best,
Florian.
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:26 am

polleke wrote:Now Release it ! We would love to see outlook 2010 supported and modern browsers and bugfixes

OK - now ... what I did not want to indicate with this, unfortunately, is that it is likely to be released anytime soon :-(. No chance for 2011 at this point, as I would see it.

FlorIan

tdeklein

Postby tdeklein » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:53 am

florian wrote:
tdeklein wrote:http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potemkinsches_Dorf

And no, what has been built so far has *NOT* been built to "show off something that isn't there"; certainly not. I actually do support your criticism, but if you read those Wikipedia articles and take them verbally, you probably want to take that particular statement back.

Hi Florian,

while it was certainly not my intend to insult anyone I really don't see any need to take my statment back. It is just rediculous that the declining customerbase longing for any official statement for a product that is two years late is totaly ignored by anyone in an official capacity.

Don't get me wrong: I valued your comments here very much while I was still using Scalix and I think it is very kind of you to be still active in the forums. But since I, as you correctly pointed out, don't have any insights the only conclusion someone outside of Scalix can draw from the official silence is that any talk about a new version, a continuing business, the intent to support the current customerbase is just that: talk. The point is not if there is a Scalix 11.5 running on some system, the point is if it is available to the customer base. So in my opinion Scalix 11.5 (and maybe to some extend the company behind it) is nothing more than a potemkin village: Not there (on the market, available to its customer base), but kind of visible in flashy colors.

Cheers (and hopefully no hard feelings)
Thomas

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:15 am

Thomas,

that's fine; I enjoy being precise on language and what it means in different contexts, and I also like talking in very visual language at times. As such, I still think your comparison with a Potemkin's village is inappropriate and wrong, because that would be something where people spend a lot of time making things look like while neglecting the inner workings. Now, that's clearly not the case here as not a single line of 11.5 code has been written to just "show off" and "look good". Furthermore, those visible parts haven't been used by anyone in an official statement (which is clearly the case for your village!). Finally, Potemkin does not refer to something that's pretty good, complete to a point, just not ready, then held back from being accessible to other people for whatever reason.

So please don't take my statement as a response in terms of language and visual story, not as someone hit too hard, personally; my only reference was that if I was to take it verbally, the meaning would be something I find inappropriate.

Furthermore, I cannot and will not disclose all I know (and, actually, don't know) about the reasons why this isn't ready for release and hasn't been released. I personally do understand some of the background, yet will still not talk about it and I certainly won't defend it at it's level. WIth this being said, the previous poster's statement that it actually does not exist at all, is also factually incorrect and I wanted to point that out. A substantial amount of code has actually been written and is part of it's codebase. Whether this helps anyone with anything or should be seen as a "sign of hope" or let anyone hold onto the product's use any longer, is a different story, and I did not want to speak to that at all. Rationally, it is quite clear to me that even a "no updates" period of two years (and those are "historical" facts now that they lie in the past!) is a very long time in a world where changes in platform and client support requirements are frequent and also when concerning an application category that is critical to anyone's business. As such, and, again, simply based on the past without any speculation on the future, I understand (and would support a decision if I was asked) to move to another platform.

Best,
Florian.

da

Postby da » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:46 am

Always nice to hear from you, Florian. We understand that you are not in a position to be able to comment on the timetable for version 11.5 or 12.

Do you know if anyone from Scalix or Sebring who is able to comment formally is aware of these forum discussions?

da
(paid customer, who is in the final stages of selecting a replacement for Scalix, due to continued concern on the future of the product)

polleke

Postby polleke » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:46 am

We would love some comments on the release schedule. We would love some changes on the website (newsitems are there from ages ago and the #breaking news that scalix was bought by sebring is not even mentioned.

Strange..

So anyone entitled to make claims about releases, features, and the future of the product please break the silence!
Kind regards,

Paul

Jeremy James

Postby Jeremy James » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:11 pm

i agree to what da mentioned, that it is not understandable, that nobody from Scalix or Xandros ever issued a sign of life for 2 years. I mean, honestly, how much time does it consume to at least remove the old news on the xandros homepage or put in at least some news? or send a mail to the customerbase announcing the sebring deal. shouldn't that be possible? i simply cannot understand that nobody in charge seems to be considering, that total silence will lead to your customers running away. don't you guys have a PR agency?

I loved scalix and we are still using it of course, one does not change a big multi-node enterprise setup with 50 users, i hate the thought of the migration. but i have to admin that i am currently evaluating a replacement for scalix which is based on linux and what makes me somehow sad is, that it works. Believe it or not, i can properly search in Outlook and it gives results and does not crash, i can really move multiple messages to subfolders without outlook crashing. webmail works with bigger folders without the "your request has timed out" message, folders in outlook in offline mode do not replicate and appear double or triple, the active sync connector does not crash totally on certain mails leaving the iphone users without mails and contacts and now the best: the blackberries even display german umlauts! i know, i am sarcastic now.

and whats even worse is, that the "migration tool" to move scalix mailboxes from scalix to the new system works flawlessly.....

i am still evaluating, but i fear that i have no other choice but to move on, but i feel sorry

regards from frankfurt, germany

edrean

Postby edrean » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:49 pm

Jeremy James wrote: i am currently evaluating a replacement for scalix which is based on linux and what makes me somehow sad is, that it works.

Please pm me the name of the product that you are evaluating...

kea13

Postby kea13 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:41 pm

I would like to second the request by edrean -- if you wouldn't mind, could you please pm me the product's name, too?
Thanks in advance!

Eugene

Postby Eugene » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:43 pm

I also wouldn't mind knowing what this product is that you (Jeremy James) are evaluating that is capable of migrating the Scalix mailboxes...care to share?

anybody

Postby anybody » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:53 pm

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Zarafa, cause they've got a Scalix-Import-Tool IMHO.
Currently evaluating this one too and so far I really like what I see :D
(have not tried or seen their Scalix Migration tool though, I was planning to use outlook to move the user's data around)

The other one I think that's worth a closer look would be Kerio Connect, which is not open-source but they are more open about their development process than Scalix so that's not really a problem...

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby les » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:05 pm

anybody wrote:I'm pretty sure he's talking about Zarafa, cause they've got a Scalix-Import-Tool IMHO.
Currently evaluating this one too and so far I really like what I see :D
(have not tried or seen their Scalix Migration tool though, I was planning to use outlook to move the user's data around)

The other one I think that's worth a closer look would be Kerio Connect, which is not open-source but they are more open about their development process than Scalix so that's not really a problem...

Don't try pst export/import. It doesn't work (at least in my case). When i tried it for a client, the export and import "finished without error" i ended up (later finding out from the end users) with missing mail in multiple random folders. Then when i re-ran the import pst with "dont import duplicates" it still duplicated. I ended up having to drag and drop folders via imap and pst export/import the calendar and contacts manually.
Regards,

Les Stott

mrezzonico

Postby mrezzonico » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:00 am

Hi les,

just an information for me ...
when you started the export from outlook, were you connected with the outlook-connector or with the imap ?

Thanks Miche

Return to “Scalix Server”