Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Discuss the Scalix Server software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

SidebandSamurai

Re: Where's Scalix 11.5 ?

Postby SidebandSamurai » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:38 pm

It has been said that Scalix will release 11.5 in June. We are now a month away, and NO announcements at all. Though the server has been rock solid these past years, my main client is asking me about Microsoft's SBS server 2011 also. That client is sick and tired of all the time spent with rebuilding smart-cache to fix searching problems. For one employee, she waits 10-15 minutes before shutting down windows to allow Scalix and outlook to shutdown properly. Just in the past few days, I had to rebuild the IMAP cache and re-build local Scalix cache for another user. When she searched for calendar entries she could see in outlook, those calendar entries could not come up in the search results. After doing the above items, it fixed her problem but Outlook would not receive messages until it had fully synchronized the cache. This made Outlook unusable for over a day.

I personally have enjoyed administering the Scalix server, but how can a business function when you have all this instability in the client. As another example, on Friday, another user complained that Outlook crashed for some unknown reason, when he tried to restart Outlook, it promptly crashed again. Outlook crashed 6 times in a row. He finally rebooted the machine and was able to start Outlook again. I have to disable so many add-ins to maintain some kind of stability its not funny. Then the Add-ins I can't disable because its needed for other software they use, cause problems and they look to me for answers. All I say is "I am waiting on an update from Scalix to address this issue."

Sideband Samurai

les
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby les » Wed May 04, 2011 10:03 am

xandrosapac wrote:Scalix is not dead! It is very much alive and kicking!!!

A new version is on its way out to the market and have already been demonstrated to few of our clients. There has been a very positive response since then.

Also there are some exciting developments back at the corporate and with an enhanced strength we see ourselves hitting the market.

We are sure all Scalix customers will be happy to see these changes in the coming future!!!

Cheers!!!

Xandros APAC

Well its been a month since this mystery post and no further word. Alive and Kicking...yeah right!!!!!

Its time that Scalix proved they are alive. "Xandros APAC", what are these developments? when is the plan to hit the market? Its not like we are asking for a cure for cancer.

Can anyone validate the statement "A new version is on its way out to the market and have already been demonstrated to few of our clients. There has been a very positive response since then."? Has anyone really seen this mystery new version?
Regards,

Les Stott

lissom

Postby lissom » Thu May 05, 2011 2:15 pm

Any Scalix update on this?
I was told by sales that 11.5 was a 2011Q2 release. Seems that we should see some beta activity or something by now.

russh

Postby russh » Fri May 20, 2011 11:08 am

lissom wrote:Any Scalix update on this?
I was told by sales that 11.5 was a 2011Q2 release. Seems that we should see some beta activity or something by now.

*BUMP*

pandreas21

Postby pandreas21 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:33 am

*BUMP*

polleke

Postby polleke » Tue May 24, 2011 11:22 am

Well bumping is not really nice is it. I don't know how many but a lot of users are having mailupdates on this topic and recieving an update on this topic rushes us to the forum to read about the long awaited release.

So for all people like me: Sorry for the trouble..

On other news: Centos is finally releasing Centos 6 so hopefully we can install scalix 11.5 on centos in the near future
Kind regards,

Paul

lissom

Postby lissom » Wed May 25, 2011 3:22 pm

I had occasion to talk with Scalix again today. I asked them for an update on 11.5. The response was that the release date was likely the end of August.

billb3
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby billb3 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:26 pm

lissom wrote:The response was that the release date was likely the end of August.

Yeah. Right.

polleke

Postby polleke » Thu May 26, 2011 6:28 am

that is Q3.. that is late.. very late.. but better than nothing. I hope in the mean time bugfixes will be released for some issues..
Kind regards,

Paul

RickC

Postby RickC » Thu May 26, 2011 7:09 am

billb3 wrote:
lissom wrote:The response was that the release date was likely the end of August.

Yeah. Right.

2012?

Jeremy James

Postby Jeremy James » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:07 pm

This brand new article from today (2011-06-28) quotes from an interview with Xandros' Vice President Sales&Marketing for EMEA, Pascal Lauria:

http://www.pro-linux.de/news/1/17207/neue-version-von-scalix-erst-im-kommenden-jahr.html

For the non-german readers: It basically says, that because 2 developers went to Zimbra things are delayed and they are really searching for an investor and finally in Q4 there should be an update of 11.4 and in Q1 2012 Version 11.5 should be available.

SidebandSamurai

Postby SidebandSamurai » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:18 pm

in reference to that article above,

looks like rats leaving a sinking ship. I read the rough translation of German to English. It looks like they are not selling it but that the investor when they find it, will get a ... how shall I put it ... significant interest in Scalix. As mentioned above two developers moved to Zambra (I wonder why) and the development is delayed (more like halted if you ask me) The other question they ask is weather or not (and I think I understand this correctly) users of Scalix will move forward with Linux solutions or revert back to windows or not.

Sideband Samurai

I will post the full article roughly translated here. The sentence structure does not make sense so you have to draw your own conclusions but you get the gist of it.

------------------- article Roughly translated to English ------------------------

Software: : Groupware new version of Scalix not until the coming year

How the responsibles announced behind the Groupware solution Scalix, is to be reckoned with a new head version not until the coming year. And that although the solution could utilize a new version urgently. A stocktaking. Of Mirko Lindner

It is quiet become around the proprietary Groupware solution Scalix. The last stable version 11.4 dated on the end of May 2008: The last corrected version 11.4.6 end 2009 and the support applied on the side the business appear a while for evolution functioned already no longer. Since then the users of the platform wait for sign. Yet more important than a sign are the partnership round around the solution well known formerly as opus mail clear confessions and above all facts. Just this the user shaft seem to be missing however.

One views is offered in that only registered users forum accessible, a picture, that could be hardly more devastating to one. Openly the users discuss death of the platform and trade mutually horror scenarios from. Because becomes by a complete failure of the Distributors Xandros standing behind Scalix spoken, and by a hardly yet available availability of the support. Above all however the partnership discusses the coming version of Scalix, that should bring functional improvements, among other things also one support for new distributions and browser. That ominous version that was already end 2009 with Scalix colleagues nominally in the use and whose releases seemed to be only a question of weeks.

Almost 18 months still no trace is later available of Scalix 11.5. The fact is far more dramatic to be sure that for 18 months no more further update was published for the essential system of many businesses. How very that gnaw at the users, one sees also in the forum, that changed itself also to a forum for (threatened) departures.

Those quiet users, who take leave without an announcement of Scalix, are yet far more dangerous. So its servers with 10,000 jobs happened becomes evidently with a reference customer of Scalix, that according to statements of an industry connoisseur back Microsoft Exchange migrieren. On inquiry of per Linux, the business did not want to express itself publicly "to such subjects" and to the IT strategy. The arisen rumors do not deny wanted the firm to be sure also.

Xandros itself rejects the opinion common above all in the forum over the death by Scalix. Let those be solely rumors, so the Vice President Sales&marketings for the EMEA area, Pascal Lauria. The business plans also no sale of Scalix. Correctly would be to be sure that Xandros would search for an investor, that would receive a significant part of Scalix. Let corresponding preparations be already in the gear.

At the same time the development of Scalix steps according to Lauria with a reduced developer tribe ahead. Reason for that the departures of two developers to Zimbra are among other things. Let the business be to be sure confident to publish yet this year an update for that meanwhile angestaubte version 11.4. As a date, Xandros names the fourth quarter 2011: In the first quarter 2012, the head version 11.5 with new functions should follow.

Therewith Xandros would become, should pass all after plan, support almost two years after the initial presentation of Microsoft Office 2010 and therewith also Outlooks 2010 the new version. For many businesses, that will be probable too late. For it, the question stands therefore sooner whether they mount further on a Linux been based solution or change back to Windows.

polleke

Postby polleke » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:36 am

Oh Man.. that translation sucks like a nilfisk..

But still "all quiet on the western front" / "from westen nichts neues"

Q4 2011 11.5
2012 scalix 12
Kind regards,

Paul

anybody

Postby anybody » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:23 am

polleke wrote:Q4 2011 11.5
2012 scalix 12

Hm?

The article says:
Q4 2011: 11.4.7
Q1 2012: 11.5

Article in English (sorry for my rough translation, but i suppose it's better then what babelfish can do):

It has become quiet regarding the proprietary groupware solution Scalix. The last stable version 11.4 dates back to May 2008. The last bugfix version 11.4.6 was released late 2009 and the support for evolution advertised on the company's website hasn't been working for a while. Since then users of the platform are waiting for a signal. But more important than this for the community of the solution originally known as OpenMail are clear commitments and facts. Precisely those seem to be missing.

The forum - only accessible for registered users, shows a pattern that hardly could be worse. Openly users are debating the death of the platform and are exchanging horror-scenarios. People are talking about a complete failure of the distributor Xandros (who stands behind Scalix), a barely available support. Especially the community discusses the coming version of scalix, promising functional improvements including support for new distributions and browser. A dubious version, which supposedly was in-use by scalix employees in late 2009, and whose release seemed to be only a matter of weeks.

Just under 18 months later, nothing can be seen of Scalix 11.5. Even more dramatic is the fact that for 18 months no update has been released for this essential system of many companies. How hard this is to the users can also be seen in the forum, which has turned into a forum for (threatened) departures.

But even more dangerous are those quiet customers who depart from Scalix without an announcement. A reference customer of Scalix, who according to an industry expert will migrate his servers with 10.000 clients back to MS Exchange. The company didn't want to openly discuss "such topics and it's "IT Stratey" when Pro-Linux inquired. It did not deny the rumors though.

Xandros repudiates the opinion spread in the forum about the demise of Scalix. Those were just rumors said Vice President Sales&Marketing for EMEA, Pascal Lauria: The company also does not plan to sell Scalix, however it is true that Xandros is searching for an Investor to buy a significant portion of Scalix. Appropriate arrangements are being made.

At the same time, development continues with a reduced developer-base according to Lauria. Reason for this are the departures of 2 developers to Zimbra. The company is however confident that they will release an update for the dated version 11.4 this year. Xandros states Q4 as date for this. In Q1/2012 a new major version with new functionality is supposed to follow.

Doing to, if everything goes according to plan, Xandros would support Office 2010 and Outlook 2010 almost 2 years after release. For many customers this will probably be too late. For them, the question is: continue to rely on a linux-based solution or migrate back to windows.
Last edited by anybody on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

polleke

Postby polleke » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:26 am

wishfull thinking (and a wink towards Dirk)
Kind regards,

Paul

Return to “Scalix Server”