Current I18N functionality planning

Discuss aspects of Scalix i18n

Moderator: ScalixSupport

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Current I18N functionality planning

Postby florian » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:15 am

This is what we currently plan to to in I18N for Scalix 11. All comments are highly appreciated.

General Desription
Scalix 11 will provide significantly enhanced support for internationalized environments. This will include full support for international single-byte and multi-byte character sets throughout the system, together with a full and extensible infrastructure for character set conversions. In addition, initial documentation for localizing Scalix client UI will be made available for the Scalix community and selected international partners.

Capabilities by Component

Scalix Server

- Message Store Character Set Support (New!):
The message store will be capable of storing object header and body information in all character sets and encodings supported by the Unix/Linux “iconvâ€
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

ManAtWork

Postby ManAtWork » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:06 pm

Thanks for your description of the upcoming plan in Scalix 11, since we have found quite a number of compatibility issues regarding the using of Chinese characters. Thus, we are under pressure to have the fixing on these in the next release. I understand Scalix's effort, but please let me know if you need us to test run the pre-relesae version, so you can know if all the related issues have been fixed before the public release.

Regards,
Michael

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:49 pm

Hi Michael,

for Scalix 11, there will be no limited private releases.

We will be announcing Scalix 11 at LinuxWorld San Francisco, starting Aug. 15th. During this week, we will make our current developer build available as a Community Preview. This will not be recommended for production use, as it will be known to contain a lot of issues.

Sometime in early september, we will then launch a more formal beta with higher confidence.

General availability release is currently scheduled and planned for Mid-Q4, i.e. November this year.

Obviously, most stuff for I18N should work in the Community Preview, so you can start testing based on this.

Hope this helps,
Florian.
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

Return to “Internationalisation”