How to install Scalix Appliance with RHEL 6.8 and Scalix 12.6 on VMware® Workstation 12 Pro
Minimal requirements for VM: CPU: 1 Core RAM: 2GB HDD: 5GB free space
1. Download Scalix Appliance from the following link.
2. Here is the available supported file for VMware Workstation, Microsoft Hyper-V, Oracle VirtualBox , VMware ESXI and Citrix XenServer.
3. Deployment of OVA File on VMware Workstation. Download “rhel-6.8.ova” file from the following link
4. Once download is completed, open rhel-6.8.ova file with VMware Workstation.
5. You can give the new virtual machine a new name or leave it with the default name (rhel-6.8). Then choose storage path for the new virtual machine or leave it as default C:\Users\Prakash\Documents\Virtual Machines\rhel-6.8
6. Click on Import, the import process will start and it will take a few minutes to finish.
7. After the import process finishes, you may change the setting in VM for a better performance. Note: To connect VM directly to the physical network select Bridged Network Connection
8. Now Power on the virtual machine.
9. Login with root and use “scalix” as the password.
10. Press Enter to set static IP
11. To configure Static IP address you will need to edit following files. Configure eth0:
Configure Default gateway:
Configure DNS Server IP:
Restart Network service:
service network restart
12. Reboot the server Use the “init 6” command
13. After restarting the server, login again with “root” and type “no” and Press Enter
14. Press Enter to start the installation. Note: Read all instructions before you Press Enter
15. Type “1” and Press Enter to accept your IP
16. Set Your FQDN (hostname) or leave it with default (app.scalix.local)
17. Change Domain or leave default (scalix.local)
18. Press Enter to create a new user after completing Scalix Server Installation (if you don’t want to create a user then type “no” and Press Enter)
19. Press Enter to reset the password for sxadmin and Scalix-postgres
20. Type the password for sxadmin and Scalix-postgres and Press Enter
Retype the password again to verify password.
21. Enter test user name and Press Enter
22. Give the test user a password
23. Installation has finished.
25. Deployment of OVF File on VMware Workstation. Download all files (rhel-6.8-disk1.vmdk , rhel-6.8.mf and rhel-6.8.ovf) from the following link http://downloads.scalix.com/appliance/12.6/ovf/rhel/
26. Once download is completed, open “rhel-6.8.ovf” file with VMware Workstation.
27. Now follow the same steps as described from Point no. 5 to 24 in the document.
28. Deployment of VHD File on VMware Workstation. Download “rhel-6.8.vhd.zip” file from the following link http://downloads.scalix.com/appliance/12.6/vhd/rhel/
29. Once download is completed, unzip “rhel-6.8.vhd.zip” file.
30. Now launch VMware Workstation and Create New Virtual Machine
31. Select Custom in type of configuration option and click on Next
32. Leave it with default option (Workstation 12.0) in the Virtual Machine Hardware Compatibility and click on Next
33. Select “I will install the operating system later” option in Guest Operating System Installation type and click on Next
34. Select “Linux” in Guest operating system and select “Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 64bit” in Version and click on Next
35. Give the New Virtual machine name (rhel-6.8) Then choose storage path for the new virtual machine or leave it as default C:\Users\Prakash\Documents\Virtual Machines\rhel-6.8 and click on Next
36. Leave it with default value (Number of processors: 1, Number of cores per processor: 1 ) in Processor Configuration and click on Next
37. Leave it with defualt value for the Memory (2048 MB) in Memory for the Virtual Machine and click on Next
38. Select “Use bridged networking” in Network connection to connect VM directly to the physical network and click on Next
39. Leave it with default value (LSI Logic (Recommended)) in I/O Controller Types and click on Next
40. Leave it with default value (SCSI (Recommended) in Disk Type and click on Next
41. Select “Use an existing virtual disk” option in Select a Disk option and click on Next
42. Select “rhel-6.8.vhd” file from where you stored on your system and click on Next
43. Now click on Finish.
44. Now follow the same steps as described from Point no. 8 to 24 in the document.