Error getting LDAP results in map ldapsx: Unknown error..

Discuss the Scalix Server software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

rich

Error getting LDAP results in map ldapsx: Unknown error..

Postby rich » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:02 am

I've read the FAQ referring to this error message in my maillog, and I understand that I should check if the ldapmapper is running. However, my problem is why?

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why the local delivery mail was halted until I discovered that the daemon had stopped. I recently upgraded to 11GA. I set my Nagios server to monitor the daemon in attempt to see a pattern since there is no indication of where I should be looking with an error message like "Unknown Error 325". I've checked the omshowlog, the fatal log, the ftlvis log, and any other log to try to debug this with no indication of the source.

My installation is an upgrade from 10.0.1 to 11GA on a RedHat ES4 server. I chose not to install the indexing service during the upgrade. I have Postfix accepting email -incoming- from the world, passing it to our Anti-Virus daemon, which then passes to a Spam Filter, which then passes it to Spamassassin, which then passes it to some custom perl script content filters, which then passes it back to Postfix, which then passes it to Scalix. The Postfix portion works well and reliably. Scalix is the core and handles all the local delivery, and Sendmail handles all -outgoing- email to the world. Postfix is bound to the main public interface, and sendmail is bound to an internal interface. There are no custom changes except in the relay rules in the smtp.cfg. Outside users use the Webmail (SWA), and none but the mail related ports are exposed to the world. BTW it's a nice web interface and my users love it.

At first I thought it might be a cron job that was making it grumpy, but unfortunately the times in which it stops are not consistent. Yesterday it stopped at 3:00am, then today it stopped at 10:52pm. The exact message in my maillog is the following:

Jan 19 22:52:15 mailserver ldapmapper[2785]: cannot send search request to instance office-mx: Can't contact LDAP server
Jan 19 22:52:15 mailserver sendmail[29589]: l0K3qFL2029589: SYSERR(root): Error getting LDAP results in map ldapsx: Unknown error 325

Any ideas what may be causing it, or any ideas where I can look to try to resolve the problem. I promised the users stability with the migration from the old unstable mail server to the new scalix server. Please help me to keep that promise.

thanks

P.S. Do not install IE7 on a XP SP2 machine with MS Small Business 2003 loaded, and with the Scalix Outlook Connector 11 with/without smart cache enabled. IE7 caused our user's Outlook to crash on start-up. Worked well with some minor issues after uninstalling it. However, Scalix Outlook Connector 11 on a Win2K with Office 2000 Pro seems to be extremely stable.

dkelly
Scalix
Scalix

Postby dkelly » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm

Please take a look at the FAQ link that I posted at the top of each forum. The ldapmapper is discussed in those FAQs.

Cheers

Dave

rich

Postby rich » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:25 am

Yeah thanks, but I have read the FAQ as I said. Please read the FAQ at the top of every forum referring to ldapmapper, you will see that there is currently only one entry when searching for ldapmapper

I made sure that ldapmapper was started. However, I have to keep starting it on daily basis. Today it stopped at least 5 times which is both annoying and frustrating. Regarding the bottom of the FAQ referring to sendmail aborting, I'm not using RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0 < update 2. I'm using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0 with current updates. Sendmail does -not- stop running. Postfix does not stop running. Scalix does not stop running. Tomcat occasionally stops running with ldapmapper. However the ldapmapper -does- stop running, which I would very much like to fix.

any ideas?

I noticed that it tends to happen under heavy load. The maillog entries leading up to ldapmapper failing is showing that during that time, numerous user unknown smtp errors are logged as spammers are running their scripts to attach arbitrary user names to our domain in an attempt to get something through.

Could the ldapmapper be failling from too many requests during a short period of time?

Your help is much appreciated.

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:31 am

Hi rich,

there is a known issue with the ldapmapper in the GA release of Scalix 11, please see http://bugzilla.scalix.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14270 for details.

If you're a SBE or EE customer with a support contract, please contact support and they might be able to provide you with a hotfix if this affects your daily operations. Other than that, the fix for the bug will be included in the upcoming 11.0.1 maintenance release, available early February.

Cheers,
Florian.
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

rich

Postby rich » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:33 pm

Thanks florian,

I read through the bug report. It all makes sense why it stopped when we were under heavy email stress. Thanks a whole lot.

I wrote an ugly perl script to check it and keep it running. I've added it to cron until it's patched up in the next maint release.

Return to “Scalix Server”