Installation on Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy gibbon)

General feedback

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

cpatricca

Installation on Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy gibbon)

Postby cpatricca » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:11 am

I know that this particular type of topic has been brought up several times but I'm just having some difficulties setting up Scalix on my Ubuntu box. I've tried using the script recommended here http://www.scalix.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... ion_script but i haven't had much luck getting it to work. Does anybody know of an alternative method other than manual install as I've had some issues with that as well.

cpatricca

Postby cpatricca » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:18 am

Sorry I meant for this to go in the installation forum and I posted it here again where I don't have the ability to delete it. Would a mod please move it?

kanderson

Postby kanderson » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:26 am

If you want an easy install, for now at least, run it on a supported platform. SLES or RHEL (or CentOS)

If you want to run it on *buntu, then you also need to accept that it isn't a supported platform, and because of that, the installer won't work.

Realistically, even if *buntu WAS supported, I'd bet that support would only be for the LTS versions, similar to how support isn't in place for opensuse or for Fedora. Which would still mean 7.10 wasn't supported.

In the mean time, if you post the specific problem you're having, we can try to help from there.

Kev.

a.schild

Postby a.schild » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:07 pm

kanderson wrote:Realistically, even if *buntu WAS supported, I'd bet that support would only be for the LTS versions, similar to how support isn't in place for opensuse or for Fedora.

A version for Ubuntu LTS would be exactly what we need.

With the two supported enterprise linuxes you also have to pay for the OS.
If we would not have to pay that money for Fedora/Suse, we would have a larger budget for Scalix software :D

kanderson

Postby kanderson » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:22 pm

CentOS is basically a clone of RHEL, but it's free.

If you want an enterprise OS without the cost (or irritation which is a bigger issue in my opinion) of RHEL, use Cent.

Kev.

a.schild

Postby a.schild » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:26 pm

kanderson wrote:CentOS is basically a clone of RHEL, but it's free.

If you want an enterprise OS without the cost (or irritation which is a bigger issue in my opinion) of RHEL, use Cent.

Kev.

Is Scalix "happy" with cent OS, or does it also require the redhat application server ?
We had a look once at cent os, but since many application still required the redhat app server it did not gave us any advantage.

Looks like it's time to make a new xen test image for testing...

André

kanderson

Postby kanderson » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:33 pm

Don't tell them. :)

The installer used to care in that you'd need to edit the /etc/*release* file, but I think even that's just accepted now. If it is still an issue, you'll know shortly, there are LOTS of people here using Cent. Heck I've sen one of Cent's lead developers here on occasion.

Cent is close enough to RH that I don't suspect you'd hear anything from Support. I'm not Scalix, so I'm not speaking on their behalf, but I do know that upgrading will be MUCH easier for you. Cause the installer won't care.

Kev.

jhamill

Postby jhamill » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:00 pm

a.schild wrote:
kanderson wrote:CentOS is basically a clone of RHEL, but it's free.

Kev.

Is Scalix "happy" with cent OS, or does it also require the redhat application server ?
We had a look once at cent os, but since many application still required the redhat app server it did not gave us any advantage.

Looks like it's time to make a new xen test image for testing...

André

we're using centos here with the enterprise scalix product we bought. works great (just like RHEL)

Return to “Feedback”