rsync between two different versions; omcheck

Discuss the Scalix Server software
ebhannes

rsync between two different versions; omcheck

Postby ebhannes » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi,
my question was already answered by the scalix people in general, but i'm unsure in detail from which folder on i can rsync between main server 12.5 and backup server 12.1 to keep both up to date?
Should it be /var/opt/scalix/xx/ or /var/opt/scalix/xx/s/ or something else?

Second issue i have is about the output of omcheck -s -d > /tmp/check_file, after i had rsync'd two servers (version 12.1) with the command

Code: Select all

rsync -aHAX --delete /var/opt/scalix/ targetipaddress:/var/opt/scalix/

This is a sample output of check_file

# Filename: /var/opt/scalix/xx/s/user/u00004g/TMPA18399/13rmi1b ( Scalix OM-USERUDIRS )
# Mode is 660 (-rw-rw----) should be 770 (drwxrwx---)
chmod 770 /var/opt/scalix/xx/s/user/u00004g/TMPA18399/13rmi1b

Content of this file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<metadata xmlns="http://mail.uk.scalix.com/imap/metadata" version="1.0"><annotation name="/vendor/scalix/appleical/calendar-color"><attribute name="value"><shared>#92030EFF</shared></attribute></annotation></metadata>

My questions:
  • How to find out to which user this folder u00004g belongs? using omshowu -m all with some other option?
  • Whats the purpose of these files (>77000 files in this folder)
Thanks in advance
Toni

kanderson

Re: rsync between two different versions; omcheck

Postby kanderson » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:02 pm

This is a tougher question to answer. I'll try.

In order to recover a server, all you need is /var/opt/scalix/??/s. The rest can be rebuilt or recreated from what's inside there. This will save you some significant space, as the indexes and cache will be about 30% of your datastore size. Sometimes more. You can dramatically reduce the datastore by regularly running omscan as well, if you aren't already doing that.

Having said that, when you restore just the s/ folder, your server will take a performance hit as it rebuilds the cache and indexes. You may or may not want to accept that hit. You'll need to decide that.

Lastly, since you're running different versions, the 12.1 server won't actually start when you try to start it up. You'll get an error about a mismatch between the libs and the data (something like that). You can fix it by running omcheckom, but be aware, that's really meant to upgrade, not downgrade. In theory, both should usually work though.

Lastly, just let omcheck run. It does a lot of good. To find which folder is associated with a person, I use omshowu -f <username>, and you'll see the folder.

Kev.

ebhannes

Re: rsync between two different versions; omcheck

Postby ebhannes » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:52 am

Thanks a lot for your answer, i really appreciate that.
In the meantime i lost focus on the backup server rsync method, therefore i cannot give any feedback for the moment.

bye
Toni

Return to “Scalix Server”