Scalix 11 GA and Postfix (a solution?)

Discuss the Scalix Server software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

gareth

Postby gareth » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:30 pm

Hi,

I *think* I have a clean postfix installation - just waiting for something to go wrong. If anyone can spot a potential problem in the meantime , please let me know what it is. This doesn't require any changes to port numbers etc and effectively treats postfix as a drop in replacement for sendmail.
(various assumptions made like all services running on one box etc ...)

a. Assume Ubuntu 6.10
b. Remove sendmail, use dpkg -r --force-all if necessary
c. Install postfix (and mailx)
d. edit the standard /etc/postfix/main and change as follows;

Code: Select all

inet_interfaces = loopback-only
local_recipient_maps =
relayhost = <your smart relay>
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
transport_maps = ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap-transport.cf, ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap-transport2.cf

Add /etc/postfix/ldap-transport.cf:

bind = no
query_filter = (&(mail=%s)(omUlClass=*))
result_format = lmtp:[localhost]:24
result_attribute = omMailnode
debuglevel = 0

Add /etc/postfix/ldap-transport2.cf:

bind = no
query_filter = (&(mail=catchall@%d)(omUlClass=*))
result_format = lmtp:[localhost]:24
result_attribute = omMailnode
debuglevel = 0

e. For each domain you host, add (to any user) add (in sac);
catchall@<domain name>

This ensures that postfix will all mail for recognised domains to scalix.

f. If you want to catch email to unrecognised local users, add a CATCHALL to your smtpd.conf.

g. Make sure you have LMTP turned on in your Scalix smtpd.conf,

I seem to be getting email .. if anyone who knows why sendmail was the preferred mailer can point me at any oversights it would be much appreciated.

For now, I have mail and no errors!

(which after a couple of weeks of sendmail silently dropping random emails for no reason I can see, is a rather nice change.)

fkienker

Postby fkienker » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:09 pm

By George, I think you've got it!

I tried your formula on Centos 4.4 with Postfix 2.210, which is the current version of Postfix for this distribution, Scalix 11GA server, and the Scalix 11GA Connector for Outlook. Following your instructions it works correctly! My congratulations to you for doing what few others (including myself) seem to be able to accomplish!

I am a bit puzzled by function of the "catchall" address. In testing this, it appeared to work correctly without the address referenced in the /etc/postfix/ldap-transport2.cf. Could you explain why you added this and what it does?

Thanks again!

chris
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby chris » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:09 am

There's a more extended howto at http://www.scalix.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... te_Postfix which includes support for multi-instance/multi-server systems, uses the ldapmapper etc. The configuration described by the OP only supports a single-server solution.

fkienker

Postby fkienker » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:34 pm

Following your wiki, I wind up with a Scalix sever which can do everything but receive mail from the internet. Local mail and sending mail work fine. All incoming mail says:

Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local
recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO command)

It must be a problem with my main.cf, master.cf, or my LDAP settings. Would it be possible for you to post a copy of your main.cf file? Is there a simple way I can check the LDAP lookup?

Thanks!

abenavides

Postby abenavides » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:46 pm

Hi,

I know is not a question directly related to scalix but I'm following chris guide (http://www.scalix.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... te_Postfix) to change MTA to postfix.

If "rpm -ivh postfix-2.2.10-1.RHEL4.2.i386.rpm system-switch-mail-0.5.25-3.noarch.rpm" is a Redhat/Fedora command, which would be the one for Debian. (Scalix on Debian Etch)

Thanks

Return to “Scalix Server”