Installing Scalix CE on CentOS4 successfully :-)

Discuss installation of Scalix software

Moderators: ScalixSupport, admin

kmontenegro

Postby kmontenegro » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:15 pm

Great thread.

I am not able to log into the admin console but can log into webmail.

I am under the impression it is an issue w/ SELinux, but SELinux is disabled....

Suggestions?

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:22 pm

Hi,

please check this forum for other users with similar problems; most likely, it is an issue with password expiration, hostname resolution, etc.

Also, consider re-downloading your software. We've just upgraded to Scalix 10.0.1 this week and this addresses a large number of issues in this area.

Cheers,
Florian.
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

kmontenegro

Resolved

Postby kmontenegro » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:52 pm

I uninstalled and then re-installed scalix.

the only thing i did differently is OMIT a nonalphanumeric character that i used in my password.

all worked well. quite odd if you can't use a ! or $ or * or + in a password, but oh well.

florian, thanks for your quick reply, this was using the latest version pulled down 2 days ago.

scalix looks VERY impressive.

km

dodgly

Trouble installing to CentOS4

Postby dodgly » Fri May 05, 2006 5:52 am

Hi,

I'm using CentOS4 pretending to be Redhat ES4 as described in the first post. And, I know this is all non-supported platform but I'll give it a toss anyhow.

During installation it aborts during the phase of "Configuration Web applications..." It has prompted me for what seems like all the configuration according to the installation documentation, but it doesn't get far:

--snip--
Configuring Web applications...
Cleaning up Tomcat......
Configuring Scalix Administration Console......
Configuring Scalix Remote Execution Service......
Fatal error occured: Msg: An error occurred configuring Web applications -- check the log for errors.
Scalix Installer - cleaning up...
Scalix Installer - stopped.
--snip--

After an uninstall, and re-install with --debug I a peek at /var/log/scalix-installer-*.log reveals:
--snip--
2006-05-05 02:50:52,134 DEBUG Creating Scalix Administrator user...sxqueryadmin; ul-authid=sxqueryadmin@xchange.terrasvc.com
2006-05-05 02:50:52,305 DEBUG Failed to create Scalix Query Admin
2006-05-05 02:50:52,305 DEBUG RuntimeError:Failed to add "query admin" user sxqueryadmin@xchange.terrasvc.com. /opt/scalix/bin/omaddu reported the following error: omaddu : The user was added successfully
sh: c: command not found.Please check that the domain terrasvc.com is licensed.
2006-05-05 02:50:52,306 ERROR Aborting...!
2006-05-05 02:50:52,306 CRITICAL Operation failed: Web apps config function configure_res failed: Failed to add "query admin" user sxqueryadmin@xchange.terrasvc.com. /opt/scalix/bin/omaddu reported the following error: omaddu : The user was added successfully
sh: c: command not found.Please check that the domain terrasvc.com is licensed.
2006-05-05 02:50:52,307 ERROR Operation failed: Aborting web apps configuration
--snip--

The installation indicated no dependancy problems. I have provided it a temporary license and tried it providing no license file. I've used the SBE and CE install archives, but I gather they are the same.

Any suggestions on getting over this hurdle? I suppose I could give FC4 a whirl but I'm so keen on this CentOS I'd love to see it roll.

Thanks in advance.

--Lyle

dodgly

Same failure in FC4

Postby dodgly » Fri May 05, 2006 4:19 pm

I did a fresh install of the latest FC4 I could find on Fedora.Redhat.com and all went well. I basically did a minimal install, skipping things like Tomcat, and the JRE, etc. I had the exact same sequence of events during the installation, fails at the exact same point with the exact same error. During installation I accepted all system defaults and used the same password at all prompts.

Thanks for any advice you might have,

--Lyle
Last edited by dodgly on Fri May 05, 2006 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dodgly

I got it!

Postby dodgly » Fri May 05, 2006 5:08 pm

I tried the installation *one more time* and this time used different passwords during the installation, and it worked! That was the only thing I did differently between installations.

So, it appears if I use the same password for the Admin User Account and "Secure Communication" account that the admin console uses to authenticate to the Scalix server, it bombs.

Not sure if anyone is willing to confirm this theory, but since I have the system up I'm happy leaving it that way--although I may UPgrade to CentOS4 now that I have a lead on the original issue.

Have fun!

--Lyle

florian
Scalix
Scalix

Postby florian » Sat May 06, 2006 4:39 am

Hi Lyle,

thanks and great that it works for you.

On your theory, I can tell you that it is certainly not as simple as that; I regularly use the same password for my test installs (if someone happens to talk to one of my test machines, it would be easy to guess as well..... ok, they are not out there on the 'net anyway).

The only thing I can think of as dependency on the passwords is "very special" characters (i.e. not the usual, but rather things such as Umlauts, 8-bit-characters, etc.) - have you used any of those in the password? If so, there could be some interaction of LANG variable settings, etc., that somehow kills the password or makes it unusable.

Anyway, enjoy workking with Scalix and if you have any more issues there, let us know,
Florian.
Florian von Kurnatowski, Die Harder!

dodgly

Special Password Characters

Postby dodgly » Mon May 08, 2006 2:47 pm

Florian,

Thanks for your reply. As for special characters, the only two I had in the password I used both times was @ and ; but nothing I would say as being extra special. When I did my test with simple but different passwords I used password1 and password2 and it worked.

If it is a case of special characters throwing it off, it would be nice to do validation ahead of time so the installer won't bomb at that point. What was a little more confusing to me was that it it reported the following:

"Failed to add "query admin" user sxqueryadmin@xchange.terrasvc.com. /opt/scalix/bin/omaddu reported the following error: omaddu : The user was added successfully " Odd that omaddu reports "The user was added successfully" yet the installer got an error response.

I'll tinker with some different passwords when I re-install on CentOS. Thanks again for the tips.

--Lyle

jethro.carr

Confirmation of problem

Postby jethro.carr » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:31 am

hi all,

I can confirm that having symbols (eg: @#!) in the secure communication password will cause this installation problem.

When I tried again without them, it worked fine.

Scalix version: 10.0.1
Linux Distro: CentOS 4.4

cheers.

Return to “Installation”