Wireless Blackberry Sync with Sync4j / Funambol -- SUCCESS!

Best practice information from Scalix users relating to integration of Scalix with other products.

Moderator: ScalixSupport

cdclark

Postby cdclark » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:39 am

uwe-beach wrote:What is the error message ?

I was able to complete a sync from outlook to my funambol server.
I'm using Scalix 11 Community Edition, Outlook 2003 SP2, funambol outlook client (3.0.15), funambol server 3.

sorry, I'm a beginner with scalix and funambol.

Where are my contacts and calenders in the funambol server after the sync ?
How can i see the data in the funambol server ?

regards
uwe

I'm not exactly sure "where" on the server it resides, but you might be able to visit the Funambol URL (that you set in the Funambol Outlook client) using your web browser. Remove the 'ds' from the end of the URL.

swordfish

Postby swordfish » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:21 am

This might be slighly off-topic but can anyone advise me on what is the difference with Scalix/Blackberry between using Funambol and Notifylink?

cdclark

Postby cdclark » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:27 pm

swordfish wrote:This might be slighly off-topic but can anyone advise me on what is the difference with Scalix/Blackberry between using Funambol and Notifylink?

Ok, the basic thing to note is that NotifyLink talks directly to your account on the Scalix server and will sync PIM and email with your BB by way of a NotifyLink server.

Funambol (like Notifylink) also runs a standalone server to facilitate syncing, but it does not currently have a direct pathway to your Scalix mailblox. Therefore you must install the Funambol client in Outlook and initiate syncs to the Funambol server that way. Then you load a funambol client on your BB and initiate a sync from there.

Funambol can be run for free, whereas Notifylink is a commercial product. The last time I spoke to Notify's sales staff it still required a standalone Windows server installation of the Notify server in order to work with Scalix. So at the very least you'd need a free Windows-based server, the Notify server application plus monthly licensing fees. It does appear to be a more elegant solution onces its up an running.

swordfish

Postby swordfish » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:12 pm

[quote="cdclark]
Therefore you must install the Funambol client in Outlook and initiate syncs to the Funambol server that way. Then you load a funambol client on your BB and initiate a sync from there.
[/quote]

Is it possible to install the Funambol client in Outlook together with the Scalix MAPI client for the same profile? Is there a clash between the two?

Also in this situation sounds like with Funambol the SWA clients won't be able to syncronise the mails to a Blackberry - is that correct?

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:25 am

Correct, SWA users are out of luck, unless you have a dedicated machine running Outlook available for that user.

Also, certain types of appointments didn't synchronize correctly for me (Scalix 11.0.0), or not every time at least, so YMMV with the Funambol Outlook connector.

Scalix has mentioned they are working with the commercial side of Funambol to provide a connector for Scalix, which will be able to synchronize directly with the mailbox. However, they have not been able to give a release date for this yet.

swordfish

Postby swordfish » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:29 am

Hi Valerion,

Do you have any experience with Notify? Does it work properly with the Blackberries?

cdclark

Postby cdclark » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:51 am

swordfish wrote:Is it possible to install the Funambol client in Outlook together with the Scalix MAPI client for the same profile? Is there a clash between the two?

Also in this situation sounds like with Funambol the SWA clients won't be able to syncronise the mails to a Blackberry - is that correct?

Of course it works with the Scalix Connect client or I never would have made this thread! I haven't played with it recently though and can't say for certain it works with Scalix 11.

It does not work with SWA. Scalix has hinted that they are working on a SyncML connector for Scalix server but there is nothing concrete to speak of.

Valerion
Scalix Star
Scalix Star

Postby Valerion » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:25 am

swordfish wrote:Do you have any experience with Notify? Does it work properly with the Blackberries?

I am going to start a test of this soon, but I can't comment on it yet. Notify claims that it will work fine, so I trust it will.

SnaRf

Postby SnaRf » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:18 am

swordfish wrote:Hi Valerion,

Do you have any experience with Notify? Does it work properly with the Blackberries?

NL is a much more elegant solution.

I recently played with NL on scalix 10 which worked soooo much better than sync4j.
What I found to be the best part of it was the fact that the NL server pushed new appointments etc to the BB, whereas Sync4J needed to have a client running on the server and the BB which then Sync'd to the S4J server.

Funambol was slow and fat.
NL just worked.

Of course, you do need at least server 2000 running somewhere on your network for NL to work.

The last eta I received from the guys at NL was august of this year for the linux version of NL.

I NEED the linux server :)

Return to “Third Party Integration”